Best Practices for Audio Recording?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for Audio Recording?

Go to solution

Share your audio recording best practices below!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Audio quality is so important! Here are some of the tips that I learned over the years using different types of microphones. Some of those tips may be more appropriate to more experienced instructors who have already recorded at least one course: 

• Learn about the different types of microphones available and determine which one is appropriate for you. A microphone for screencast is going to be different than a microphone for talking head. Using the wrong type of microphone is like using a hammer to drive a screw. 
  • The key to good audio is to place the microphone close to the subject. A microphone 6 feet away on top of a camera is going to pick up extra noise, echo, and muffle the voice of the presenter. 
  • Learn about levels and how to set them on your device. Learn to verify levels BEFORE recording. 
  • Learn how to control background noise. AC, cars, pets, leaf blower. If your device allows it, use headphones to check what the microphone is picking up. 
  • Learn about echo and why it happens in a room, and how to mitigate it. 
  • Just like video recording, always record the best possible sound straight to your device. Don't plan on using post-production to make major adjustments. Get your settings right the first time and you won't have to worry about it once you upload your files. 

Audio recording is crucial, but so is video recording. Check out these best practices for shooting videos

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

I've been recording videos for my Udemy students for more than 4 years now. Here's what I've learned about audio.

• You cannot record a course using the earbuds/mic that came with your phone
  • You cannot record a course with the microphone embedded in your camera or laptop
  • You can however use your phone, camera, or laptop to record the sound with a proper microphone plugged into it
  • There are several types of microphones, but the two two most common are dynamic and condenser
  • Dynamic microphones are often used for voice including speeches and singing, and they can have a price < $100 for a decent quality (i.e. ATR-2100)
  • Condenser microphones have more technology and moving parts inside, and are designed more for a studio (quiet) environment, sound is richer ($100+) (i.e. Blue Yeti)
  • Some microphones can be optimized for a direction called a polar pattern - the direction of your mouth hopefully - omnidirectional vs cardioid vs hypercardioid etc
  • A clip-on (lav) mic is usually a good option and does not have to be expensive ($15!)
  • Mics work best when they are close to you. So record your screencasts with the microphone around 6 inches from your mouth. For on camera shots, still try to get the microphone close to you, with a lav mic or some type of boom pole.
  • If there is any type of noise in the background (cat, dog, car, computer fan, air conditioner, etc), try to remove it. This is done using software like Audacity - FREE.
  • Also try to avoid too many awkward or long pauses, too many hums, ums, and ahhs, and ensure the audio sounds the best it can when listening using headphones.

Those are my tips for now. Will edit if I think of more.

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

Audio quality is so important! Here are some of the tips that I learned over the years using different types of microphones. Some of those tips may be more appropriate to more experienced instructors who have already recorded at least one course: 

• Learn about the different types of microphones available and determine which one is appropriate for you. A microphone for screencast is going to be different than a microphone for talking head. Using the wrong type of microphone is like using a hammer to drive a screw. 
  • The key to good audio is to place the microphone close to the subject. A microphone 6 feet away on top of a camera is going to pick up extra noise, echo, and muffle the voice of the presenter. 
  • Learn about levels and how to set them on your device. Learn to verify levels BEFORE recording. 
  • Learn how to control background noise. AC, cars, pets, leaf blower. If your device allows it, use headphones to check what the microphone is picking up. 
  • Learn about echo and why it happens in a room, and how to mitigate it. 
  • Just like video recording, always record the best possible sound straight to your device. Don't plan on using post-production to make major adjustments. Get your settings right the first time and you won't have to worry about it once you upload your files. 

Audio recording is crucial, but so is video recording. Check out these best practices for shooting videos

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.