Can iPhone 11 be your primary camera? Side-by-side footage comparison.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Can iPhone 11 be your primary camera? Side-by-side footage comparison.

Go to solution

With the newly released iPhone (having three improved cameras) is it a viable choice for online educational content creators? 

Over last few days I've ran several tests and compared the footage of iPhone vs some bigger cameras (Canon 6D and Canon C100 mk-II). I decided to share the footage comparison together with some of my thoughts with you guys.

Overall, I was really amazed by how the video quality have improved. In my personal humble opinion, now is the time when you shouldn't buy dedicated camera if you want to use the video "out of the box" without further fiddling with it in video editing software. If you're familiar with video post-processing, you'll be able to squeeze much more out of dedicated camera's footage. But if you work in "shoot and upload" mode, it is much better to spend that budget for lights, audio, rather than a camera.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Thanks @Juriy for a great comparison. I tried a real camera with no luck. The settings were too hard. My Samsung phone is working out much better. The lighting looked a bit better in the iPhone footage compared to the Canon, IMO, regarding your comparison. 

LL

View solution in original post

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

I use Sennheiser ME-2.

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

Wow, you are really fast creating new courses 🙂 Less than a month passed since it was released I guess. 

20 Replies

Go to solution

Thanks @Juriy for a great comparison. I tried a real camera with no luck. The settings were too hard. My Samsung phone is working out much better. The lighting looked a bit better in the iPhone footage compared to the Canon, IMO, regarding your comparison. 

LL
AliciaPaz
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

I use a DSLR camera from my older iPhone, but I think you just sold me on the new iPhone!  I do like the ease of using my phone and I have recorded video and audio via a lapel and simultaneously which was much more convenient over editing (maybe I am the only one, but I hate editing!) 

Thanks for the video! 

Alicia Paz M.A, QMHP

Go to solution

Which microphone are you using with the iphone?

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

I use Sennheiser ME-2.

Go to solution

Wireless, or with the adapter?

Go to solution

Sennheisers for the win, Juriy. 🙌

Shigeru_M
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Very, Veeery Interesting! Huge Thanks to Juriy!

Go to solution

What tripod stand did you use for iPhone?

FYI- I've used iPhone 10X many time and made my life easier when recoring. I do have Canon too but i love using iPhone. I'm new to udemy but soon I'll be posting some stuff here. Great feedback though 

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

Generally speaking, I don't have a special iPhone tripod, mainly because I wasn't using it for studio production. Generally I use a regular normal tripod, with a small Manfrotto clamp that allows you to put an iPhone to any tripod.

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-Universal-TwistGrip-Smartphones-MTWISTGRIP/dp/B01M8NQ6L8/

I found it very useful, and I always have this clamp in my bag when I travel, even if I'm not taking a tripod (it is not hard to borrow one on the spot, if you really decided to record a video spontaneously). 

Recently I've bought a "travel tripod" from Rollei. 

https://www.rollei.com/rollei-compact-traveler-no-1-carbon-tripod-black-22578-en-eur

It is made of carbon, very light and compact and seems to be very well built (I'm big Manfrotto fan, but I couldn't find anything like this in their model line). 

I didn't have enough time to recommend it yet, but so far it seems like a very good little travel tripod that will play nice with light camera or a phone. 

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

Talking about tripods, this one also seems to be a good travel solution, but... I'm just not ready to pay 350 bucks for lightweight tripod. Rollei wins here 🙂 

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MKBFRC4-BH-Befree-Carbon-Tripod/dp/B00M8RQKS4 

Go to solution

thank you , i was actually looking for a clamp, this looks good.

Go to solution

I definetely agree with you. I recently just published my course " The only key to success", which I recorded using  iphone 11. The video and sound quality was great. You can check it out with the link below.

https://www.udemy.com/course/the-only-key-to-success/?referralCode=5CA61CCC1E1DF9CAC47C

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

Wow, you are really fast creating new courses 🙂 Less than a month passed since it was released I guess. 

Go to solution

Thank you for this!  

Go to solution

Hi, juriy!

Thanks for the info, I myself have the xmax and I liked the results.

I'm new here and need urgent advice! I have prepared and filmed a full course and started

to edit in luma fusion but I can't upload the files from dropbox, or for that matter open the zipped files. I then tried to upload from powerpoint with no success.

I would appreciate your help and guidance.

thanks marie

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

This is a good question, but unfortunately I haven't had experience with Luma Fusion (I'm editing in Premiere Pro). You should post this as a separate question, then more people will see it. 

Go to solution

Thanks

Go to solution

This was a great and informative video, Juriy. Thanks so much for taking the time to run an actual test and compare the results. I know I'm often tempted to throw my iPhone on the tripod instead of our Sony PXW-Z150, but you're so right about postproduction processing. There's way more information to work with, not to mention the considerations with compression during rendering.

I still love to use my iPhone for short social media posts, live events, and on-location stuff. People usually aren't as picky about the quality, and I'm not usually touching the footage much after the shoot. 

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

I'm now fiddling with an idea of iPhone as a "b-camera" (second angle, used for short cuts). I am also trying out specialized video recording software. There is definitely some improvement over standard recorder (e.g. I could record with lower compression and more control over exposure, resolution etc.), but I still didn't manage to tune color profiles, and this is a show-stopper for me... 
If I will find a way to record in "cinematic" or "log" profiles on iPhone, I'll for sure give it another go.

Go to solution

Hello,

Interesting review. I really like camera reviews as I am a bit of a camera gearhead but fortunately don't suffer from gear acquisition syndrome.

Personally, I have been debating getting the Canon 6D Mark 2 or the Canon 90D. I am sticking with Canon as I have so much glass with that system.

Overall, great review and thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Richard Callaby, CTT+ Trainer, Published Author, and YouTuber
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.