Do i Need a WebCam if my Course Contains only screen grab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i Need a WebCam if my Course Contains only screen grab

Go to solution

Hi All,

I am New Instructor and have just joined and will appreciate if you can tell me if i need a external camera if my complete course content is going to videos of screen grabs of the actual application being trained in use

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnupShukla
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @GirishIyer1971 

No, you don't need a webcam if you entire course is PowerPoint presentation and if you can teach your course without you showing yourself on camera or if you don't have to show something physically.

My first course is made  entirely using screengrab presentations.

Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Go to solution

Welcome.

I guess the question is; What might you use a webcam for?

Go to solution

Hi Daneil Evans,

Thanks for your response.

But my query was if my entire tutorial is basically screen capture of Power Point Presentations and direct working on the Software for which the tutorial is made, then will i still be requiring a Camera, because my understanding is a camera is required only if i need to show some physical object or material to the students or show myself on the tutorial.

is it necessary that i have to show myself on cam during the tutorial  like i see in some online youtube videos where they display the software screen as well as the presenter (instructor) in a small window on the screen

AnupShukla
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @GirishIyer1971 

No, you don't need a webcam if you entire course is PowerPoint presentation and if you can teach your course without you showing yourself on camera or if you don't have to show something physically.

My first course is made  entirely using screengrab presentations.

Hope it helps!

Go to solution

Thanks AnupShukla for the clarification.

Stay Safe and Stay Strong

Go to solution

As mentioned, the format of the course is entirely up to you.

Many are many only with screen captures.

Go to solution

Hi Girish,

Just like others have said, you don't need a webcam. Most of my courses only have screen capture. But I changed that with my new course. I recorded introduction to different topics in the course with myself in the webcam. I feel it makes a difference when students see the instructor during their learning and helps them connect & engage more.

I personally feel more motivated to watch a course when an instructor shows themselves in the video.

Cheers 🙂

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

@GirishIyer1971 I think you are getting some bad advice here.

You are asking "do I need" or "do I have to", in other words you are asking for MINUMUM critical specifications. Is your purpose to just publish a course so you can say you published a course, or are you trying to sell that course, gain followers, and create a profitable business?

No one succeeds in business by doing the minimum required because you are competing against people who are not doing the minimum, they are doing the BEST they can possibly do. They are doing the maximum, not the minimum. They are seeking to provide the best possible experience, the best value. Those are the instructors who succeed in selling courses and making money. 

Students want to connect with their instructors. They want to know who they are. They want to be able to trust them. And... they even want to LIKE them. No one likes a voice behind a powerpoint! You are not making a personal connection. You aren't selling yourself to your potential students. You are disconnected, faceless, boring!

No, you don't "have to" show your face. But that is the wrong question. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.