Filming with iPhone 6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filming with iPhone 6

Hi,

is it bad to film the course with iPhone 6, I mean is it possible? (video + audio at the same time) 

I am curious if everyone did it, I want to give myself try but also don’t want to make it very bad quality... 

but to invest big amounts of money for camera or microphone is still not an option but I would invest in supporting equipment, however trying to figure out what to do :))

thanks in advance! 

8 Replies

Hi @Amra 

I use my samsung and record directly and I am happy with the results. I haven't published my course yet but I am getting there. Your iPhone will make great video. Use a tripod and a lapel mic. You can buy one for £15. I watched and listened to loads of YouTube video mic tests and chose the Boya mic because it sounded as good as mics £100 and more. Lighting is the hardest thing. My phone camera is great but the lighting took me weeks of experimentation. I suggest you find advice about it.

LL

Thank you very much I appreciate your suggestions and I will order mic and try just like that ... I wish u luck with ur course:)))

Thanks Amra, I am almost there, it's exciting. The mic I use is the BOYA BY-M1. You can plug it in your phone and record at the same time as filming. Plug it in before you hit record or your sound will go out of sync. Good luck. You will need a video editing app as well but I believe they have them as apps on iphones if you don't want to use a computer. Have you watched the Udemy videos on how to film your course yet?

LL

I found hama LM 09 mic and recommendations are good, but it says I should be careful with the channels as it can fill only one :))

I watched the videos but I love to hear recommendations and experiences from the very first hand :))) 

For editing I might use the computer, do you use app or program on pc?

I use Powerdirector. I downloaded free trials of a few products  and liked it best, plus it was one of the cheaper ones. I had to buy an expensive PC to run it and learn about RAM, graphics cards, cache etc to buy the right computer. 

It's great but editing takes me a while. It also took me weeks to learn it. I kept watching video tutorials but it didn't translate into knowledge.

Then, last Christmas, I took loads of videos and photos on my Samsung. The next day, I came down with an evil flu. I spent a week doing nothing but editing that footage until I had a 5 minute video. It turned out pretty awesome. I actually think Steven Spielberg would be proud of it!!

Doing that Christmas video got me to grips with video editing!

LL

Hi, Lizzy

I liked the Steven Spielberg part... 🙂 as recently had the same feeling about my recently taken video..! So, I do fully resonate with the way you expressed your feeling!  

The phone can do good quality video. Make sure to record at 1920x1080. It is best to download to a computer using a wire. Your charger cable may or may not be able to transfer data, if it won't connect then you have the wrong cable.  Audio might work with the phone if you are very close and in a good echo-free room. Most likely a lapel mic will be needed to record better quality audio.  A stereo mic is not required. You can copy the audio channel in your video editor to make it stereo. 

Light is a must-have no matter what you record with. Soft light is the key. This can be window light from behind the camera or added LED lights on stands. Window light is just as good and free. Total investment for a low-cost mic can be under $25.00. You can download several free video editors that are high quality and some even include audio cleanup options. 

Hi, Jefferies

I was following this conversation chain as had the similar question in mind and found your additional insights helpful!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Dillyara

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.