First course, sound proofing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First course, sound proofing

Good morning,

I have watched multiple tutorials and classes on audio quality. I have worked to make my office my future studio. When I shoot screen cast videos with my ATR 2100, the sound is rich and sounds good, but when I shoot my talking head style video with my Rode smartLave connected to my H1N, it comes out fairly echoed or hollow. I am thinking about adding acoustic panels, but due to our home, I am trying to use that as a last option. Am I missing something that I can do in post production? Currently, I am using Camtasia to meld my sound and video. Thank you for taking the time and helping a new course creator. I am honored to be among such company. Cheers. 

11 Replies

Hey @TobiasNeal , did you find a workaround for this issue with your microphone/audio? I'm bumping your post so that someone with the same microphone can chip in!

Hello! 

Thank you for the bump. I did not receive any feedback, and I tried a few Facebook groups as well. I eventually bought some accoustic foam paneling...but I can only buy a few panels at a time. I have put up about 30 12x12 panels, and it is somewhat better...and maybe I am overthinking it. Ha! I just want to create a good product. This is something I would like to do for the long haul. Thankfully, my wife has been super supportive as the walls slowly become covered with paneling. Ha! 

Hi@TobiasNeal If your ATR2100 sounds good in your office but the Smart lav/h1n combo sounds bad in there then maybe they are the problem? The H1N is a stand alone recorder and the Smart Lav is designed to be plugged into a smart phone. Have you tried the smart lav with a phone?

Acoustic treatment is always a good idea, what panels did you buy?

Cheers

Liam

Hi Liam,

I have learned that the ATR2100 is a different type of microphone than the LAV...the ATR is dynamic which reduces sound from the sides and rear...in essence, I have to be right up on it and provides excellent sound but ties me to my desk and mic stand. The Smart Lav is omnidirectional and picks up sound from all around. The H1N can be used to support the SmartLav...I took that recommendation from a guy that I know that produces videos commerically using a Smart Lav and his H1N. I really need to find a solution to that for my talking head videos. The one guy I like uses a shotgun mic, but that is outside my price range at the moment.  So, I have gone the route of foam panels...foamly is the brand...I have bought about 24 12x12 panels...I have two large windows...and I am still having some issues. I could be overthinking or trying to be better than I need to be...but this is something I would like to do for the rest of my days, so I am trying to create a good space. 

Hi Tobias

Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIh2U-v6jcs

The guy in the video is using an adaptor between the smart lav and the

H1, might this be what you are missing? It's a relatively old video and he's

using the H1 not the H1N.

Hi Liam,

Thank you for showing me the video. I do have the adapter already. It is just the room. I have a large window on one side and a patio slider on another wall. The room has high ceilings. I have put in corner foam, several panels around the slide door. I may try and hang something over the windows, but they are a good source of light. I think what I may do is upload 2 different types of audio so folks can hear both and tell me if the lapel mic is okay as it is...like I said, I may be over thinking it. 

Hi Tobias. You've got the adapter, that's fine, just wanted to rule that out. I had a look at the tech spec for the Smart lav, according to  that it's a quite a sensitive mic and coupled with it being an omni pattern I see why it picks up so much of your room. 

When you upload the audio I'd be happy to download it and stick it in my system to see what if anything can be done. If that's all right of course. 

Do you have a walk in closet? The closet works very well for recording. 

Hi Tnwilliams9,

I do. I could see that working for podcasting or for voiceover work for screencasting, but for talking head type videos, I am not sure how I could make that work. Any ideas other than trying to build a studio in there? 🙂 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.