Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

How I improved my green screen setup with some easy steps

Go to solution

I have been trying to take my green screen game to the next level for a while and last night I found the ultimate guide so I thought I would share it. If you are having issues getting good effects with your green screen, take a look at this video (it is not mine). If you think your green screen is really good, I'm sure there's a tip for you in here too! This is the best video I have seen on this subject and I have looked at a lot of them! https://youtu.be/OH8TWTt51W8

Here are some takeaways: 

• Most green screen issues are because of lighting, namely "hot spots" (too much light in one location. Think about green screen lighting separately from the subject (you) lighting. Light up your green screen with bank lights (tall vertical lights) and not spotlights. Here's a video from the same author showing you how to make bank lights for cheap. I will be making those in the next few days and report: https://youtu.be/BpOakYp-gJ4
  • Use an app (iPad, $10) to determine if your screen is evenly lit. Naked eye doesn't cut it. 
  • Stay away from the screen so you don't cast a shadow (6-9 feet). 
  • Smooth out your green screen (by stretching it or steaming it)
  • Use a backlight (hair light) to pull your subject from the screen (so it doesn't look "flat"). 
  • Light your subject a little brighter than your screen (see video for details). 
  • Don't wear green clothes or clothes with green in it. 
  • Blur your background (low f/stop on your camera if you can control that, around f/5.6). 
  • Remove motion blur (slightly higher shutter speed, see video for details). 
  • Frame your shot correctly so the green screen covers all your movements. 
  • Be careful if you have a monitor in front of you connected to your camera as it will reflect green light on you. The trick is to change your saturation to zero to make the screen black and white (love this tip!). 
  • Get good lighting for your subject (after lighting your green screen). 

Later this week I will be shuffling my studio to apply some of those tips and will keep you posted on the results. I hope this helps someone! Share your green screen tips if you have any that are not on the list. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

I agree with Carlos, you will need to get a flatter green screen. The lines are likely not helping. Try standing a little further away from the screen as well and as Larry suggested, try a light on top of your head (very very low, just to give your hair a little shine). Also, I'm not familiar with the software you are using but there is likely a few settings to change the sensitivity of your keyer. I'm expecting because your screen is not perfectly flat and solid, the software is having to use dark green as a color to make transparent, which in turn is taking some of your hair out as well. Getting a good green screen is very tough and will take several tries. 

View solution in original post

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

OK, I'll do that. But, it isn't personal. My point is simply to take your time and not rush. Sorry if it offended you.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

33 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

I agree with Carlos, you will need to get a flatter green screen. The lines are likely not helping. Try standing a little further away from the screen as well and as Larry suggested, try a light on top of your head (very very low, just to give your hair a little shine). Also, I'm not familiar with the software you are using but there is likely a few settings to change the sensitivity of your keyer. I'm expecting because your screen is not perfectly flat and solid, the software is having to use dark green as a color to make transparent, which in turn is taking some of your hair out as well. Getting a good green screen is very tough and will take several tries. 

Ekta
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Thanks a ton. It really helped. For now I am recording on a normal background. It will take more tries and I will need to learn some editing skills as well. I am giving up the green screen. 😞

Go to solution

That is a very good decision.  A normal background is definitely better than a bad green screen effect.

Ekta
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Yes, my aim is to get this course out in 2 days. This wll be my first course. 

Go to solution

That's great.   I wish you the best!

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Why in two days?

I am working on my sixteenth course and I expect to take at least three months to complete it.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

I agree, why the rush? Two days is usually how long it takes me to record and edit about 2 hours of content after having spent weeks creating the course content. Everybody is different but I recommend you set yourself with a reasonable completion timeline for maximum course quality. 

Ekta
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Yes, totally agree. Even while I started recording, I had to edit the script in between to connect it with all lectures. I am table reading it 5 to 6 times and then recording it two times.  After which I edit. It is taking a lot of time for the first time. 

It has taken me nearly 3-4 days to record 15 minutes of total video and editing. I still need to put titles and sync with other material. 

But am enjoying the process and will be thrilled to see the output.  Once I complete a lecture its almost like a big sigh....of releif.

Ekta
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Oh , I meant i want to finish in two days as per the timeline I created for myself. I have been working on this course nearly for one and a half month. 

Ekta
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Hello Lawrence,

Its been almost 2 months now for my course creation. I only meant to push myself to publish the course and not postpone.

While I was reading the latest posts on how to market my course as I am about to publish this one , I noticed your post on "Plan Your Couse Marketing Before You Publish, Here are Proven Marketing Ideas"

I read the post and its really awesome. I also noticed and I have a feeling that you quoted my post in that thread. It felt a bit personal to me. Here is what I am reffering to :

"

1. When you are planning your first course, shoot your best shot! Your first course will establish your brand and a bad hastily created course is not the way to get started. Your first course should be on a topic in which you have genuine expertise. Take your time to make sure this is a high-quality course. I recently saw a message from a soon-to-be instructor who said they were planning on finishing their first course in two days. I am now working on my sixteenth course and I am taking three months to develop it. Take your time. Get it right."

I felt hurt and misunderstood. I dont see any reasoning to update and  quote me in your posts while making a point. 

I have read your posts and they are filled with knowedge and expertise. And would like to learn more.

Requesting you to make the change in your post. 

Thanks and Regards,

Ekta

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

OK, I'll do that. But, it isn't personal. My point is simply to take your time and not rush. Sorry if it offended you.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

I hope you are not going to feel offeded by this too, but Lawrence didn't quote you.

He didn't write your exact words, and he didn't mention your name, and I can assure you that many new instructors have at some point said they wanted to publish their course in 2 days, so, I think that including that in their article, with the goal of helping others get it right, is good.

I would suggest to try to to see things from a different perspective, because if you feel hurt, misunderstood and/or offended so easily, you will not enjoy this journey.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Let's drop it. I changed already. The point is still made. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.