cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

How to record my desktop?

Recording your desktop can be achieved using any number of software programs designed to do just that. These programs are called 'screen capture software'. Many applications will capture not only what is onyour screen but also what is seen through your webcam and heard through your microphone.

You may have heard of Camtasia? Whilst this is a screen capture tool it is also a video editor and boasts a number of features targeted at the online education sector. Its down side is that it is not cheap.

You may also have heard of ScreenCast-O-Matic. This is also a screen recording software. And it does come with a very rudimentary editor (paid version). I like its simplicity and is ideal for quick short videos and screencasts.

You might even have heard of OBS (Open Broadcast Software)? Primarily aimed at gamers to stream gaming sessions. It can also save those streams locally as video files. This makes it a very good application for creating screencasts. Oh, and did I mention its free? 😉

So, whichever application you are using, remember that you may also need a seperate video editor? You might need a certain feature? Or, you might be starting on a budget? What ever your situation - there is something available for you to get started right now.

I hope you find this useful? If you do, give it a like and let others find this post.

Warm regards, Robin.

15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use ScreenFlow and find it really good for what I do. First I start with iShowUHD but for some reason, I left it behind. Still, have it but just collecting dust. ScreenFlow is a good solution for people who just starting and need all in one solution. The software offer editing, transactions, effects, sound adjustments, just to name a few. 

Most of the time I edit everything in Adobe Premiere Pro but as I mention if you starting and you don't have a subscription for Adobe then ScreenFlow is good as a one-off buy.

Of course, all of the above mentioned are good solutions but I never try them and can't say much about them.

Camtasia is great for price!

I use Wirecast as I stream a lot online...and I am not smart enough to understand OBS - no joke : ) 

Prior to this, I used the following 2 products:

On my Mac: Quicktime

On my Windows PC: PowerPoint (on the Windows version you can do an "Insert Screen Record")

I use Loom (https://www.loom.com/)

Best regards,

Zbigniew

@Robin_Slee for Mac users, I work with Screenflow, free and easy to use, it's a great one. 

Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes. It has a very smooth workflow. Unfortunately my Mac mini is getting old now and struggles with anything longer than a few minutes of video lol!

I would like to add my experiences in course creation right from the beginning.

My first course was trial and error. I made some talking heads video using a Canon camera on a tripod. The sound quality was terrible. I then did the same thing using a Samsung Smart phone on a tripod. Much better than the camera.

I use a Dell laptop with built-in webcam and Mic. Originally on quite an old laptop. It was OK but the sound quality needed improvement. I purchased a separate Mic which improved it a lot. 

It is always necessary to have some good audio and video editing software. There are some free ones around, but I opted for NCH Videopad, Wavepad and Debut Video Capture. All excellent and not that expensive. Very user friendly and effective. 

I now have a new Dell laptop and I still use the built in Mic and Webcam. Excellent quality and after editing, noise is virtually non-existent. I don't use a separate Mic anymore or Webcam for my recordings.

I have made a recording booth to cut down echo and outside ambient noise. Cheap and easy. A plastic box covered in a thick multi-layered blanket. Works beautifully. 

It is nice to know that you don't have to spend a fortune to obtain good results.

How about using Zoom (zoom.us)?

Would it work to start a call and share screen while recording?

Does that work? 

Hi Jennifer,

I use zoom for my Virtual Classroom learning. It does record during the class so it should work.  

Can I use the free version of OBS for screen capturing?

@Robin_Slee wrote:

Recording your desktop can be achieved using any number of software programs designed to do just that. These programs are called 'screen capture software'. Many applications will capture not only what is onyour screen but also what is seen through your webcam and heard through your microphone.

You may have heard of Camtasia? Whilst this is a screen capture tool it is also a video editor and boasts a number of features targeted at the online education sector. Its down side is that it is not cheap.

You may also have heard of ScreenCast-O-Matic. This is also a screen recording software. And it does come with a very rudimentary editor (paid version). I like its simplicity and is ideal for quick short videos and screencasts.

You might even have heard of OBS (Open Broadcast Software)? Primarily aimed at gamers to stream gaming sessions. It can also save those streams locally as video files. This makes it a very good application for creating screencasts. Oh, and did I mention its free? 😉

So, whichever application you are using, remember that you may also need a seperate video editor? You might need a certain feature? Or, you might be starting on a budget? What ever your situation - there is something available for you to get started right now.

I hope you find this useful? If you do, give it a like and let others find this post.

Warm regards, Robin.

Yes, you don't have to use it in streaming mode. It has a dedicated screen capture mode.

You can capture from multiple inputs at the same time, and apply noise filters to your mic so you don't have to do it in post processing. So, you can do a screen capture and overlay your webcam to show your face (for say, coding tutorials), and you don't have to worry about low levels of ambient noise (such as desktop fans, noise in your home outside of your closed office door, etc.)

I use it for all my courses and my YT channel. 

Thanks for your response.

I use Camtasia.

Uhm, had not thought about the gaming software. Thanks

Screenflow is great, you may still find version 8 for free around the internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.