cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I miss my Blue Yeti.

I recently "upgraded" my audio setup to a Shure SM7B from a Blue Yeti. Figured it was time to "go pro." 

The Shure SM7B looks great on paper. It's dynamic instead of a condensor, so it should pick up less background noise. Many studio professionals swear by it, and some of my favorite podcasters use it. I mean, even Michael Jackson used it to record "Thriller."

But I miss my Blue Yeti. Somehow the SM7B makes me sound a little nasal, while the Blue Yeti delivered more warmth.

Using a SM7B means also buying a "CloudLifter" device to boost its signal levels, and some sort of mixing board or pre-amp to convert the XLR input into a USB input you can feed into your computer. The Blue Yeti, as a system, was only a fraction of the cost.

Yet I think the Yeti actually sounded better.

Anyone else using a SM7B here? Would love to hear other impressions of it, or tips on how to get the best sound from it.

9 Replies
ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Dynamic mics are known for having a "flatter" sound, while condenser mics sound "more rich". 

How does it affect your courses though? Do you think it even contributes 0.01 to your average review score?

You could always go back to the Yeti. Or find a condenser you won't be ashamed of. Smiley Happy

FrankKane
Community Champion

Totally right that it is really low on the list of things students actually care about - even less so when they are making a purchase decision. It's a little too easy to geek out on it. 

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

I found after switching around through several microphones that a little work in post makes it all worth it. Are you tried playing with the equalizer in post to get something you like? 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
FrankKane
Community Champion

Yeah, just boosting the lows a bit on my mixer helped a bit. It also turns out you're supposed to get this particular mic really close - like basically touching it - to get rich sound from it.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

With your voice, Frank, you would sound good coming out of a tin can.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

I have heard this multiple times. Sometimes it is because the person positions the SM7B the same way as the Blue Yeti. That creates this effect. The SM7B should be way closer to your mouth than the Yeti. And of course, you need a booster. Then it should no longer be nasal. In fact, it should be warmer than the Yeti.  

For a beginner, I would always advise the Yeti because it is so much easier to work with, but as you progress, a dynamic mic (and the SM7B is just an example and in no way the only one or best one) is a must. But it is more of a hassle. You can't just plug it into a laptop and press record. 

FrankKane
Community Champion

Since I wrote this 4 years ago, I've learned to love my Shure SM7B. The key was just getting really close to it, and having it on a boom arm helps make that possible.

I still use a Blue Yeti when I'm on the road though; its simplicity can be a lifesaver sometimes.

Let this be a lesson for all: dynamic mics close to the mouth.....condensor mics two fists away at a 45 degree angle. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.