Is 4K video quality recommended?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 4K video quality recommended?

Go to solution

Hi,

My course mostly consists of screencasts. When I export the edited video from iMovie, I feel that 4K quality looks best. Even 1080p looks slightly blurred. But the file sizes of 4K videos are too huge. So I'm not sure if they are recommended.

Any suggestions from instructors who mostly do screencasts?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Udemy has decided on a one-size fits all strategy for video and only displays a maximum of 720. 

(supposedly) They are "working on" adaptive streaming for up to 1080.  You have to request it for all your courses. It's not auto added at this time.  If you add a new lecture, you then have to request adaptive streaming for it.

View solution in original post

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Unless you are watching the videos on a 65" 4k television, you will not be able to see anything more than 1080HD. Udemy does not transmit anything in 4K and most courses are watched in 720. You are only using up space on your hard drive.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

33 Replies

Go to solution

Hi ShrutiBalasa;

The 4k is not great idea for screen capturing!

I suggest to use HD or as the maximum use Full HD .

And it's depends on your screen resolution:

Bigger Display =  Bigger Capture size

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

I've done 4K for my students that sign up on my website (and some YT vids).  They love it.  As long as you "zoom" in as you're working.

Go to solution

Well this is the only option when you work with 4K, otherwise video will be blur and youcannot see the menus etc if you are teaching some software course. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

I teach Photoshop and the menus are not blurry at 4K. Just the opposite. Much sharper.

Go to solution

I guess my question wasn't clear enough. I'm not capturing the screen in 4K. It's captured in 1080p. But while editing and exporting from iMovie, when I export in 4K it looks better than 1080p, I don't know why!

Go to solution

How you can better quality than its production quality? Did you try to play it on udemy? 

Go to solution

That's exactly what I didn't understand - why the quality is better when I export in a higher resolution than production!? But anyway, I exported in 4K itself, uploaded to Udemy. Looks great in the preview.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Udemy has decided on a one-size fits all strategy for video and only displays a maximum of 720. 

(supposedly) They are "working on" adaptive streaming for up to 1080.  You have to request it for all your courses. It's not auto added at this time.  If you add a new lecture, you then have to request adaptive streaming for it.

Go to solution

Oh! So does that mean, whatever quality video you upload, it becomes 720p? But I'm sure I've seen some courses that look like having great resolution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Yes, unless you request 1080 adaptive streaming from customer support.

Go to solution

Hey go through this thread 

Video quality in 1080P and 720P on udemy

For screencast I strongly recommend 720P as per my experience. 

Go to solution

I'm not a published instructor yet, so I don't have access to this thread. Perhaps you could give me a summary here?

Go to solution

For your reference... 1.png2 (1).png2 (2).png

Go to solution

4.png

Go to solution

So you're saying - capture in 720p and export in 720p and that works best with Udemy?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution
Hello @Sijal_Ahmed, I see that 1080 is not as sharp for you, on Udemy.   However, on my monitor 1080 is sharper vs. 720.  You may want to contact Udemy to find out why it's not working on your end.  

1080vs720.png

@ShrutiBalasa, record in 1080 and export in 1080.  After your course is published contact Udemy support and request 1080HD Adaptive Streaming.

Go to solution

Thanks @Anonymous 

Will do that.

Go to solution

Well, it may waste all your efforts of recording and editing videos. My 1080p option is already enabled on udemy and I have shown you that what is happening with my course at those settings. It is strange that youtube has no problem in playing my 1080p video in 1080p quality. However on udemy quality worsened when I upload 1080p videos and trying to play in 1080p. 

That single video was just for testing purpose to see if I can get better quality. And I put it in already published course. You know for new course, it must contain atleast 5 video and 30 min content. 

So my advise is that, play on safe side. 720p quality is best for any course you want to publish. On normal screens/monitors you cannot see differntiate between 720p and higher resolution. 

As @LawrenceMMiller  said, you need 65 screen to feel 4k quality. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

I disagree.  You don't need a 65 in. screen to see 4K.  I have a 27in iMac, with 4K. 

Here is scientific proof that all you need is a 20" monitor to enjoy 4K;  https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Can-you-see-the-difference-with-a-4K-monitor-729/

I understand that Udemy doesn't display in 4K. However, this proves you don't need a 65" screen.

Also, I've shown that 1080 (side by side photo example above), on Udemy, is better than 720 on my monitor.  I can't be the only one able to see the difference on their monitor.

Go to solution

Actully what you are doing is different. You are playing 1080p (or may be 4K) quality in 1080P and 720P setting. Secondly you are zooming in your video to section which you want to emphasis. If you capture full screen then quality will detrioite in higher resolution as font size will be very very small as compared to 720p settings. 

Capture screen with 1080 p (1920*1080) setting and then 720p (1280*720) setting on udemy. Now play them in their respective qualities. Do not zoom in any particular section of your lecture. You will instantly tell the difference you will be getting between 1080p and 720p. Becuase I have already shown you will real example of my own video, may be you can come up with such example to discuss more... 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors