cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marious
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Let's talk about microphones here!

Let's share our views on microphones we use to record our courses.

I have used the following ones:

- Samson C01

- Rode SmartLav

and more...

A good pop filter and a stand is a must.

What is your pick?

9 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

I have used a collection of them because I just couldn't figure out what I needed. 
I started with the BlueYeti, because everybody does. But I do a lot of talking head so that didn't work from a distance. 
Then I went to a lav mic, first connected with a jack to the camera, but the quality was ok but not great, then I got a lav mic that I connected to an external recorder (H4N) and XLR connection. That worked a lot better but I was getting quite a bit of shirt scratching from time to time. After getting annoyed at that, I decided to go with a boom mic. I chose the Sennheiser MKE600, still connected to the H4N and I absolutely love it. It is hanging from my ceiling, aimed toward my chest, out of camera view and the sound is clear and crisp after a bit of work in Final Cut. I still use the lav mic when I'm on the field recording or if I do interviews outside. I have learned to get rid of the scratch by practicing a little more. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
AliciaPaz
Community Champion

I am currently all talking head video, so a lav mostly.  I have a blue yeti with a pop filter for a few videos and plan on using a recording space this month and they have Sennheiser E385s and a soundboard which will be a learning curve but also hope to sound more polished.  A student has mentioned that you can hear street noise with just the lav, so hoping to tighten it up.

Alicia Paz M.A, QMHP
Thor
Community Champion

I primarely use ATR2100 I live somewhere noisy, and you can only do so much sound insulation. 

I also use the Røde Smartlav for talking heads, but can only use that between 02:00 to 04:00

@Marious wrote:

Let's share our views on microphones we use to record our courses.

I have used the following ones:

- Samson C01

- Rode SmartLav

and more...

A good pop filter and a stand is a must.

What is your pick?

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

I've got a looong story with microphones, mostly because I was never *quite* happy with the result (until I got my current mic).

TLDR: I use Neumann TLM-102, through Forusrite Clarett 2 Pre, recording with Logic Pro X. When I need to talk to camera, Sennhiser G3 set, with ME-2 lavaliere mic.

Here is the list of mics that I used to record my videos (chronologically):

- Samson G Track (UBS Mic, I was getting high noise levels and delay in monitoring)
- Rode Video Mic Pro (great budget on-camera for run-and-gun, not so great for studio)
- Zoom H6 (much better as a recorder than as a microphone, but gave quite descent sound, still for the mic it is too bulky. Still using it as a field recorder, almost never as a microphone)
- Rode HS1-P: (overhead mic, great for talking on the stage as it is very directed and not picking up feedback from speakers. Was never designed for studio. Don't know why I bought it, probably wanted to speak to stadiums full of people)
- Sennhiser G3 set with ME-2 lav mic - BINGO, this was a great upgrade to my studio, using it extensively when I don't want to put large-diaphragm microphone into my face
- Boyerdynamics MXL BCD-1 - not bad dynamic microphone, experimented a lot with it, but then I figured out that I prefer how condenser mics sound. But it is a matter of taste: "broadcast" sound vs "voiceover" sound. 
- Icon O2 - that was that "click" moment when I realized the kind of the sound that I wanted, I just 
- Neumann TLM-102 my current microphone, I really like it, I am 100% happy with the sound that it gives and my next improvements will be around accoustic treatment for the room.
- Zoom H1 - because I wanted something portable, to record when I travel

What I still want to try. 

There's another option for getting great sound without putting the mic right into camera - directed shotgun mics with boom poles. I have worked with it in semi-pro video production and I'm wondering how will it work in a small studio setup. For this I'll need something like Sennheiser MKH-416 ("industry standard" if I ever feel like spending almost $1000, which is unlikely) or Rode NTG-4+ (which will be around $400, but they say, it is worth every dollar). 

AxelParis
Community Champion

I use the Bird UM1 with a pop-filter, i think it's the BEST ratio quality/price !

617uTBKK22L._SL1200_

I'm currently using a Blue Spark mic.

H69294000000000-00-500x500.jpg

It's a fantastic microphone quality wise however I find myself having to twist it to rid of noise which is a problem that's came about after a year of use.

In light of this issue, I'm currently considering a Rode NT2.

I'm still in the process of recording my course, though I have a few mics I have used in many situations so here's my take on them.

Sennhesier e945  Pro dynamic mic for stage peformers with very small pickup distance optimal for loud stages and noisy environments. This would be my 1st rec for those recording in noisy environments.

AKG C3000  Large diaphragm condenser, bright and sharp for singing and voice overs and great budget mic for acoustic instruments or ambient sounds. Needs a sound treated room with no analogue clocks (it picks up the ticks!).  

Beyerdynamic opus 100 A great handheld condenser microphone that gives clear vocals without picking up ants crawling around. Still need a decent acoustic room or booth. I have used this in a few voiceovers.

Rode Smartlav  Cool cheap little condenser lapel mic that can pickup unwanted ambient noises, neighbours barking dogs and those darned cockatoos that always patiently wait for me to stop talking.

AKG C80  Small budget shotgun mic designed for lecturns that works well for directional miking in small environments. 

Zoom H1 I have used this countless times for recording singing, speaking and an on hold phone msg (not recommended). Best option for recording sound from a wide area or if you need something portable. It will work surprisingly well in a quiet room though.

FTR some of the most popular used mics in radio are dynamic mics:

Sennheiser MD421

EV RE20

Shure SM7

These are all great mics that give a full and clear vox sound though you have to be fairly close to them for best results.

And I use a Presonus 2|6 audio interface and Audacity.

I am a fan of Rode mics and hope to soon test the NTG4.

PS I have used a couple cheap condenser USB mics but they all had a background hum.

Cheers

Bruno

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marious

I love my Blue Yeti on a Neweer arm with a Blue Yeti shockmount and a huge Kaotica Eyeball over the mic for noise suppression.  Huge but works great!

office.jpg

And with this photo, I do believe I've begun the most embarrassing office photo contest.  Other entries?

---Brian

Hi;

You can get rid of many noises and other statics from your recorded voices easily by using Audacity free software.

In that software easily use noise remover effect.

That's it.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors