Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hypnodan
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Picking video-editing software

Go to solution

Hi All,

By the time I started my Udemy journey I had already been making video content for many years and was using video editing software which was affordable but also had plenty of functions (VideoStudio X6). When I started on Udemy I realised I needed something different. My sound quality from my camcorder wasn’t suitable, the camcorder only took proprietary microphones which required batteries for the lapel mic (and there wasn’t a compatible mic to place on the camcorder). The lapel mic batteries only lasted about 4 hours and I had times when the mic would cut out (it was bluetooth) or where the batteries would run out and I wouldn’t have noticed and would end up with a silent, unusable video.

So I realised I was going to have to capture the audio separately (I was using my Zoom H2 and then more recently my Zoom H2n. I now also have the Zoom H1 and Zoom H4n Pro, all of which serve different purposes) to the video and then synch it in video-editing software. I initially tried to do this manually by zooming in on a clap in the waveform of the video and audio and lining them up, but frequently they would be slightly out of synch and it was time-consuming if I have recorded 100 videos for an eCourse and I now have to synch 100 videos of audio, and then there was the added problem that when cropping the video I had to make sure I cropped the audio at the same time and didn’t accidentally just crop the video, or I would quickly have a video way out of synch, so I was saving each video as an unedited video with the external audio as a track, and then editing this video, but that took a long time to do.

So, for me, the biggest decision over choosing new video-editing software for making my Udemy courses was whether it could auto-synch the audio and video file together and have a single file created quickly which I could work with. I found that the most recent version of the software I was already using happened to have this feature included, so I upgraded to that software (I now use VideoStudio X9 Pro). It significantly sped up my production time.

I have recently found out that there are video-editing software programmes available which allow you to bulk process videos. Currently I have to edit a video, then wait ages while it processes before I can edit the next video. What would be ideal is to do all the editing during the day and bulk process all the videos over night, so I may be finding software which can do this and upgrading my software again as this is one of the most time-consuming parts of my editing stage.

How did you pick your video editing software? What is important to you in the video editing software you choose?

All the best
Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Hypnodan, I'm at the low tech end of editing so I just use Camtasia, Audacity, my iRig mic my iphone and powerpoint. I try to do as little editing as I can 😉 

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Hypnodan, I'm at the low tech end of editing so I just use Camtasia, Audacity, my iRig mic my iphone and powerpoint. I try to do as little editing as I can 😉 

Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

I definitely like to try to minimise required editing... I've not tried Camtasia but know it has always been the one recommended in Udemy forums. I am now considering taking a look since I read a post mentioning you can bulk process...

Go to solution

Yes, that's one the main reasons as to why I switched to Camtasia @Hypnodan. Before that, I would have needed to export all videos one-by-one, Camtasia saves you LOADS of time 🙂

Go to solution

Hi Denise,

how do you use your iRig mic?  Is it plugged into your iphone or into your laptop?

Do you record iphone video and iRig audio separately and then sync them in Camtasia?

I am asking you these questions because I am at my first course creation and thinking of a similar setup with an iphone for video and an external microphone (Blue Yeti Nano) connected to my pc.

Thanks!

Hans

Go to solution

I would like to add my experiences in course creation right from the beginning.

My first course was trial and error. I made some talking heads video using a Canon camera on a tripod. The sound quality was terrible. I then did the same thing using a Samsung Smart phone on a tripod. Much better than the camera.

I use a Dell laptop with built-in webcam and Mic. Originally on quite an old laptop. It was OK but the sound quality needed improvement. I purchased a separate Mic which improved it a lot. 

It is always necessary to have some good audio and video editing software. There are some free ones around, but I opted for NCH Videopad, Wavepad and Debut Video Capture. All excellent and not that expensive. Very user friendly and effective. 

I now have a new Dell laptop and I still use the built in Mic and Webcam. Excellent quality and after editing, noise is virtually non-existent. I don't use a separate Mic anymore or Webcam for my recordings.

I have made a recording booth to cut down echo and outside ambient noise. Cheap and easy. A plastic box covered in a thick multi-layered blanket. Works beautifully. 

It is nice to know that you don't have to spend a fortune to obtain good results.

Go to solution

Hi Denise,

I do not use a separate Mic for any recording. If using my Dell laptop, the built in Mic and Webcam are perfect. The sound quality is good and most of my course is screencast so I don't use the webcam that often. I use a recording booth made out of a plastic box with a multi layered blanket over it. Works well. 

The recording still needs editing and I came across NCH Wavepad for the sound edit, Videopad for the video edit and Debut Video Capture for my recording. It all works very well and is so easy to use. The wavepad gets rid of all unwanted noises and can enhance your sound also.

If I record using my Dell desktop, I do have a separate Webcam with built in Mic. Also works very well. Still use the same software mentioned above. Hope this helps and I wish you all the luck in the world

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi Dan,

Several factors I consider:

- ease of use: this really depends on how our brain works. There’s no right or wrong answer. Try the software and see what works. 

- compatibility with your operating system: some software works better with windows and some better with Mac. 

- price: free vs one time fee vs subscription model. 

- functionalities: Does it do all you need to do

Based on all those, I am a Mac user and I tried both Premiere and Final Cut and went with Final Cut. It reportedly works faster on Mac than Premiere because it was designed for the hardware, it’s a one time fee vs a subscription and it was easier for me to use. It has functionalities like multi cam which I love for my editing. With that said, Premiere is an industry standard and an amazing software. Btw, both do batch exporting so you can export everything at the end of your editing day and let the computer do the work while you sleep! 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

I use Windows, but do have a Mac. Price is something I didn't mention, but it was a consideration. I personally prefer a one-time fee vs subcription but find most software is moving towards the subscription model.

I might have to check out Final Cut. I took a look many years ago, but stuck with what I knew as there were very few differences in options (that I use) and I didn't notice, and probably at the time wasn't thinking about bulk exporting...

All the best

Dan

GrahamNicholls
Community Champion

Go to solution

I'm not what I would call technically advanced with editing software to be honest @Hypnodan 

I edit everything on my Ipad and started out just using iMovie but after a few courses I wanted something with more functionality but was still easy to use. I came across LumaFusion which claimed to be the cloest thing on a tablet to that of PC software. After trying it out I found it very easy to use and it processes videos really quickly so I went with it and haven't looked back since.

Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

In the early days I used to use Windows Movie Maker, then you end up one day having to do something it doesn't do, so you hunt for software that does that one thing, and then eventually you find something else you want to do that this new software doesn't do and so upgrade again until you have something which seems to fit. 

For me, I too don't think of myself as technically advanced, so I try to find something which for me feels intuitive and easy to navigate and not so many options (especially options with names I don't even understand) that I can't find anything and it feels overwhelming...

All the best

Dan

Go to solution

I have Qs for you before answer your Q?

1- What is your Camera model?

2- What do you mean by  wait ages while it processes (i think you mean that you had to wait for some time for your video to be saved ??  am I correct?)

Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Mohamed_Mira ,

Nowadays I either use my Sony A6400 with a Sigma 55mm lens and lapel microphone (I could use a different microphone but the way this camera fold out screen works, any microphone placed on top of the camera gets in the way of the screen), or (more often than not) I use my Sony AX53 camcorder with a Rode VideoMicro on top.

In relation to the camera used vs software used to edit and process the video, I find generally most cameras record in standard formats which are compatible with the software I use. In the past I used to use a couple of other Sony camcorders and a Zoom camcorder (it was essentially the audio quality of Zoom microphones, but with an HD camcorder attached, but only gave good picture quality under ideal lighting conditions and had minimal on-camera settings), and different mobile phones (Sony, Nokia and Apple). All have worked fine with my video editing software, but some are easier in my opinion to work with. I love being able to simply pop out an SD-Card from the camera or camcorder and put it in my laptop, copy the files to my laptop and then get editing. I don't want to have to try to plug phones or cameras etc into the computer or try to transfer using dedicated software etc.

Waiting for processing, you are correct, waiting for the edited video to process into a single MP4 file when you hit render or start or process or whatever the button is listed as to turn the edited video into a final video to upload to Udemy. 

All the best

Dan

Go to solution

WOWOWOW  😯😯😯 . .  that is toooooo many devices.

we have 2 issues here Audio and rendering

1st Audio: I think it would be better if you bought a dual mount bracket over your tripod, so you can mount your Sony and any zoom mic next and connect through wire  mic out to cam in

maxresdefault.jpg

-----------------

2nd the render happend becuase of diffirence between the videos from your camera and the settings of your time line in the program (VideoStudio Pro 2019), for example you shot your video farme size 1920x1080 and export as 1280x720 (that is alot of RENDER)

and codec  (how video compressed inside your file)

so simply  set your cam to  1920x1080 (25 or 30 fps) H.264  (as in photo below last setting)  and set your software to the same settings and there should not be any render or very little.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 5.06.30 PM.png

hope this is clear, and you are most welcome to ask for more

BTW i like the Zoom cam, I wish i buy one soon.

best of luck

Go to solution

I'm just using Camtasia 8 if recording/editing screen casts with talking head and Fast Stone Capture if I record screen casts, only. My camera is a Logitech 920 or i use my iPad. Mainly, I work on Windows. If I record sessions on my Mac, I use Screen Recorder Pro to record the lectures and my Windows apps to edit them.

Best

Johann

Go to solution

Hi there!

In my opinion, any video editing software is fine. You just need to research and compare on the pro's and con's of each software and make a decision. However, i think the functions are all the same so it all comes down to application and creativity.

Personally, i am a professional video editor and i teach using Adobe Premiere Pro. It is really great.

I would recommend Filmora or Adobe Premiere Pro (If you are willing to invest more).

Mark Lim

Cat Buddies TV

Go to solution

Hello,

I am just using Camtasia 9 and Screen-Cast-O-Matic as well as SimpleRecorder for the Linux machine that I use for screencasts. My courses are primarily screencasts so I don't use a camcorder too much, it really isn't a part of my Udemy set up.

The reason I choose to use Camtasia 9 and Screen-Cast-O-Matic is that I was familiar with these pieces of software for a long time using them. I have used Camtasia since 2002 while in College for my Teaching Assistant position at my University. I find that Screen-Cast-O-Matic to be extremely simple to use and it renders video a lot faster than Camtasia.

I hope this post helps someone out and I will probably change my set up over time as I continue producing courses and making money on this platform.

Thank you,

Richard Callaby, CTT+ Trainer, Published Author, and YouTuber

Go to solution

For me , I am comfortable using Premiere Pro, But i would suggest  you pick a software you will be more comfortable using... Test out 2 or 3... I recommend Premiere pro if you intent to publish  more professional videos.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors