Rode LavMic on MacbookPro

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rode LavMic on MacbookPro

Go to solution

Hey there,

Does anybody have a Rode SmartLav mic that they can plug into their Macbook Pro? I can't use my phone; my PIxel 2 doesn't connect to a Macbook Pro at all so using my Smart Phone isn't a viable option. But the Macbook Pro doesn't pick up on the Lav Mic at all either. 

Has anyone run into this issue and have solved it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TameraDion
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

The Rod SmartLav uses a TRRS connector on it, and the Macbook Pro uses the TRS (I believe). You need an adapter to make it work properly. 

Honestly, you are going to get some sound quality degradation using the SmartLav with a Macbook Pro, and would be better off getting a USB microphone to work with the laptop like a Rode Podcaster or NT model.

The other option would be to get an older iphone or ipad to use for recording. We used to use an old iPad with the SmartLav and treated it as our audio recorder, which worked well, until we upgraded to a more powerful and professional setup.

Tamera

*Brains behind Jason Dion*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TameraDion
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

The Rod SmartLav uses a TRRS connector on it, and the Macbook Pro uses the TRS (I believe). You need an adapter to make it work properly. 

Honestly, you are going to get some sound quality degradation using the SmartLav with a Macbook Pro, and would be better off getting a USB microphone to work with the laptop like a Rode Podcaster or NT model.

The other option would be to get an older iphone or ipad to use for recording. We used to use an old iPad with the SmartLav and treated it as our audio recorder, which worked well, until we upgraded to a more powerful and professional setup.

Tamera

*Brains behind Jason Dion*
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.