Should I post-process my videos to add contrast and sharpness?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I post-process my videos to add contrast and sharpness?

I'm just getting started, and video is a new world for me. When I do still photography, I do a fair amount of post-processing to enhance sharpness and contrast.

I've been experimenting with doing that with videos, and the results seem more pleasing to me if I add a touch of sharpness and equalization than they do straight out of camera. Below are screen grabs of a quick demo of what I'm talking about, with a 65% sharpness filter and 15% equalization filter in the VSDC Video Editor.

Thanks!

- David

UnprocessedUnprocessedAdded sharpen + EQAdded sharpen + EQ 

Is there any reason not to do that? The differences are subtle, but I'd notice them.

Attached are screenshots of a sample video "before" adding the sharpness and EQ filters and "after"

5 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I do a bit of color correcting, including a bit of contrast with all my videos. I don't really mess with sharpness but I shoot with high-quality lenses and camera so I don't have to. The biggest thing is to get a good skin tone. Depending on the software you use, you can save those as pre-set and reapply them. If you shoot in a studio with similar lighting conditions, it will save you a lot of time. 

Unfortunately, I can't see the images you posted (not sure if it's on your side or on Udemy side), can you maybe repost them? 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Hi, Greg. Not sure why you can't see them, but I'm re-posting the images in this reply. I'm gathering, from your response, that Udemy doesn't do additional processing.

I'm using a decent camera (Panasonic G85 with an Olympus 45mm lens), but I still like the slightly sharpened version better. I could make sharpening and contrast adjustments in-camera, but then they'd be locked in.Out of camera footageOut of camera footageLightly processedLightly processed

GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I still can’t see them but it looks like Jocelyn can 😞 we had this issue in the past where only a yellow triangle is showing, I’ll spreach out to support. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

In the thumbnail view, I couldn't really tell what the difference was between the 2 images but after I clicked and made them bigger, I like the "after" one more. The added contrast is nice and I think your skin looks less flat. 

So I'm guessing other folks will have a similar experience -- it might not matter much to people watching on a small screen, but the edited version will probably look better to folks with high res.

Hope that helps @DavidBookbinder!

Thanks, @JocelynH. I think I'll go with it, then. It doubles the amount of time I need to spend rendering, as Camtasia doesn't seem to have these filters, but it's the computer's time, not mine, so no problem.

David

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors