Software/Equipment you could not live without?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Software/Equipment you could not live without?

It’s a brand new week! Let’s kick it off with a new Hot Topic!

What is the one piece of equipment or software that is integral to your success as an online instructor?

Leave a comment below!

9 Replies
KylePew
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

OBS - Open Broadcaster Software. I use OBS to record all my talking head/screen sharing lectures. The program makes it easy to record all my video and audio with loads of features to boost quality in both. I used Camtasia in the early days, but switched to OBS and haven't looked back.

OBS has been very helpful. I also found FreeCam to be nice and simple for screen recording and quick edits. I observed that it is very helpful for making fast production involving quick screen captures when advanced editing is not required. 

FrankKane
Community Champion

I really love my Shure SM7B microphone. As I do more screencast / voiceover lectures than "talking heads," it's the most important piece of gear I have.

It's not cheap, and to make matters worse you also need a "CloudLifter" device to boost its signal on top of a A/D adapter (I use a Blue Icicle) in order to connect it to your PC. But I don't regret re-investing some of my course earnings on it. As an extra bonus, I sound better than everyone on Zoom calls 😛

okay I just bought it haha 🙂

Btw I think you don't need all that extra gear if you have a mixpre 3 ii !

Right now it's iMovie on a Mac - which I use for Noise Filtering and Editing. I am thinking of investing in Camtasia. 

That will be OBS for screen capture & Davinci Resolve for Video & Audio Editing. 

Salil Dhawan
Community Champion

Adobe Premiere Pro

NVIDIA Broadcast. Filters out all the background noise during recording. 

vokoscreen for screen recording

Shotcut for video editing

Audacity for audio editing

Atom for displaying code on screen (it's clearer and simpler than VSCode)

Recently slides.com for animated presentations

Google Slides for scripts, on-screen diagrams

Firefox for showing the browser on screen.

I'm a Linux user, but most of the above are cross-platform. All are free unless you want private presentations on slides.com, but it's very cheap if you do want that. All are open source apart from Google Slides.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.