Time to change the mic

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to change the mic

Hi for all,

I got some revenue and I think that is time to change the mic now.

But I have a doubt, I'm using a cardioid mic (Boya By mm1) is not the best mic but it have worked until now, I have some extra work editing the audio, but it's ok.

I would like to know if it's better buy an audio interface, as I don't have any, or buy an blue snowball mic

7 Replies

You definitely don't *need* an audio interface.

What kind of videos do you plan to produce with the new mic?

The Boya is a lavalier, whereas the snowball is a desktop mic, and they are used for different purposes.

If you are going to create talking head videos, then your best option would be a lavalier mic.  If, on the other hand, you will be creating screencasts or voice overs, then a studio mic could be better, and if that is the case, you would still need to choose the best type of mic for your specific use case and environment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@YuriAdeodato 

Follow @CarlosDeLeon 's advice and get the best mic for your application, but I love my Blue Yeti and read that the Snowball is just as sweet at a lower price.  I've actually bought three Snowballs for two coinstructors and a promising student but never used one myself ;-).  Best of luck,  keep that advice coming and I anxiously await a decision.

---Brian

Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

If you go with Yeti make sure it is quiet where you record, if not go with ATR2100. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
KylePew
Community Champion

I like the Blue Yeti and Snowball. Both have been awesome. The snowball is more compact is that is a concern.

Are you recording talking heads in your videos?

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

The first question to ask is how will you be using the mic? What's your recording environment like? How far from the mic will you be? Are you ok with the mic being visible in the video or must it be hidden? What is your budget? Where is the microphone going to record to (camera, laptop, phone, external recorder). Lots of questions to answer before you can pin down a type of mic, and then a model. 

Personally, I do talking heads and I don't want to have a visible mic in my videos (personal choice). My room is not too noisy and I tried lav mics but it wasn't my favorite. So I settled with a shotgun mic (Sennheiser MKE600) connected to an external recorder (Zoom H4N). It allows me to have the microphone directed directly at my chest, fairly close to me but hidden from the cam and the external recorder allows me to plug in another mic if I need it for a second person. It works for me but may not work for others. Best of luck finding what works for you. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Thanks for all, well I only record screencast videos, the boya that I use is not a lavelier, is a desktop mic, the sound is good, but I want to impove the audio quality to the next courses that I'm creating. I read about Yeti and Snowball, but many instructors suggest an audio interface and a good condenser mic.

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

The Yeti works in the proper room setting but it picks up A LOT of everything going on around you. I personally have stopped using it for course recording. It depends on your setting. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.