Video problems and streaming issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video problems and streaming issues

Go to solution

Hi there 

I have recently published my first course .. most of them did not complain but few started complaining about these issues 

1. Videos getting stuck a lot .. they are dissatisfied.. is this bcoz of my high video file size? My files are of 12 mb to 22 mb in size, about 10mins onwards in length.. should I compress files further or keep them shorter?

2. Background noise in videos- how to remove them with any free software or site ?

3. I enabled the feature Downloadable Videos so that they can download and watch avoid getting stuck.. but unfortunately this made videos available to download directly into students mobile or PC .. which is violating privacy.. so any option to make them downloadable within Udemy?

your suggestions and ideas will be really helpful. 

Regards

Meghana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hello! I hope you are doing well. Thank you for asking these questions.

So the answer to question 1 is check the frame rate of your video. I've myself posted about 800+ MBs of video and still there's no issue. So Kindly check your frame rate of video and make sure it's 24 or 24 plus for smooth video. Also make sure to choose a good Codec and get files in Avi or MOV or at least mp4. 

The answer to question 2 is that if you record voice over of your videos separately, then record them in " Audacity " it's a free software. You can find a lot of tutorials to remove background noise using audacity. If i explain that, then you can just select a few seconds of your audio in which you're quiet, then go to effects and then Noise reduction And choose get noise profile when noise level is somewhere between 8 and 14. Then select whole audio clip and this time apply noise reduction. Then, add loudness normalization effect with default settings and you'll sound much better. If you didn't record audio separately, then open any editing software and extract audio and repeat above mentioned steps in audacity. ( you can also opt of purchasing a good quality microphone)

Answer to question number 3 is that if you make your lectures downloadable, they will obviously be stored in PC of students. If you're facing piracy issue, then you can turn that downloadable option off and let students watch it on app or website.

I hope it helps. 

If you have any question, feel free to ask. 

With best regards, 

Tiger

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Go to solution

Hello! I hope you are doing well. Thank you for asking these questions.

So the answer to question 1 is check the frame rate of your video. I've myself posted about 800+ MBs of video and still there's no issue. So Kindly check your frame rate of video and make sure it's 24 or 24 plus for smooth video. Also make sure to choose a good Codec and get files in Avi or MOV or at least mp4. 

The answer to question 2 is that if you record voice over of your videos separately, then record them in " Audacity " it's a free software. You can find a lot of tutorials to remove background noise using audacity. If i explain that, then you can just select a few seconds of your audio in which you're quiet, then go to effects and then Noise reduction And choose get noise profile when noise level is somewhere between 8 and 14. Then select whole audio clip and this time apply noise reduction. Then, add loudness normalization effect with default settings and you'll sound much better. If you didn't record audio separately, then open any editing software and extract audio and repeat above mentioned steps in audacity. ( you can also opt of purchasing a good quality microphone)

Answer to question number 3 is that if you make your lectures downloadable, they will obviously be stored in PC of students. If you're facing piracy issue, then you can turn that downloadable option off and let students watch it on app or website.

I hope it helps. 

If you have any question, feel free to ask. 

With best regards, 

Tiger

Go to solution

Thank you so much Tiger.. it really helped me understand better. One more question, what is the good codec, how do I know what codec my videos are and how to change them ? Most of my videos are mp4.. 

in order to make videos load faster I have compressed videos from 40mb to around 10 Mb .. does it really help load faster or it’s bettEr to upload original files without compression?

Thanks Regards 

Meghana

Go to solution

Mine pleasure. 

Codec can be found when you export your videos from your editing softwares. If your video format is Mp4, then your Codec is H.264.

Faster loading is actually low quality sometimes because loading usually depends on the internet connectivity of student because udemy already has processed videos. 

You better try to upload uncompressed videos and i think that will help. 

With best regards,

Tiger 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.