When was the last time you upgraded your equipment / software?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamNicholls
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

When was the last time you upgraded your equipment / software?

Hey there fellow content creators and educators,

I'm always looking to improve the quality of my courses and part of that is making improvements to my equipment or software.

I was wondering how many of you do the same thing? 

I've just invested in a new wireless mic system - the Rode Go Compact Wireless Microphone System - I move about a fair bit while presenting and keep getting tangled in wires so I wanted something wireless with excellent audio quality. This Rode system certainyl provides that and I'm super happy with the upgrade!

Do you have a consistent drive to upgrade and improve and of so what was your last upgrade?

12 Replies

@GrahamNicholls  The day before yesterday I have placed order for Audio Technica ATR 2100 USB mic with arm stand on Amazon. Hoping to get by Tuesday.

Right now I am having Samson Go mic but its very hard to record when there is some noise in background so I am going to try ATR 2100.

I just found a great app for audio recording. It works for voice over which is the majority of what I do. It is called Krisp. It is a noise filter. While programs like OBS allow you to select noise and filter it out this does a better job. It will even hide someone talking outside. 

Thor
Community Champion

Yes, not all the time, but whenever it makes sense.

Ordered this, not arrived yet.

Beyerdynamic DT-297-PV-MKII-250 Headset with Cardioid Condenser Microphone for Phantom Power, 250 Ohms 

Early on I got new stuff to significantly improve quality, now it is more how can I make the process easier (minor quality upgrades as bonus).

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Now that I'm happy with my setup, I don't want to change anything. The reason is that if I add new videos to an older course, it's a bit awkward to have the AV quality suddenly change for one video. 

Just bought a new mic from amazon. My voice is clear now and I record with my phone which makes the task super easy!

@Selfsage603 

I also record onto my phone and I use it as a camera. I found it gives me the best audio and visual results. Like you say, it also makes life easier! 

LL
MassimilianoAlf
Community Champion

Hi Graham, I just did a major update for my camera, till now I shot with a Logitech webcam and I have to say it did a great job but now I wanted to change with something more professional and I bought a mirrorless Sony A6500. It should arrive in some days and I'm pretty excited about it! 😄

The season of failure is the best time for sowing the seeds of success (Paramhansa Yogananda)

@GrahamNicholls 

I tried to get everything right by researching but I made one mistake. My tripod wasn't tall enough. I had to stand it on cat food boxes! Now I have bought another tripod. It is a joyous thing! 

LL
MassimilianoAlf
Community Champion

And your cats will be happy too! 😄

The season of failure is the best time for sowing the seeds of success (Paramhansa Yogananda)

Hi @Lizzy 
How are you doing ?

I'm a newbie here, trying get to the right equipment for my first course. It would be a great help if you can share me your research about equipment.

Looking forward to listening from you.

Thank you

CK

Chidamber Kumar

Juriy
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

I confess. I do improve my "studio setup" more frequently than it is really required by the video courses 🙂 Can't do anything about it, I simply love my toys and I love to squeeze everything out of it. 

My next purchase will be Shure SRH1540 (closed-back studio headphones). My previous Audio Technica ath-m70x fell a victim to my kid 🙂 Happens. 

One more thing: just for fun I want to record timelapses of how I make the courses. I recently got GoPro for some other activities, but I will give it a shot. 

Last but not the least: I'm really looking forward to try Palette Gear. Video editing for me takes a very significant time in production pipeline, so I'm willing to spend few extra bucks to streamline this process. 

Recently bought a Logitech 930C Webcam and bought some softbox lights to improve on lighting. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors