Working in Noisy Environment

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working in Noisy Environment

Go to solution

Hello Instructors

I live in a very noisy environment. During the day, it's the people. During the night, it's the dogs. So, guys, how do you deal with the noise in your environment? 

Engineer, Engineering Academy-Nepal
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

That's tricky. I'm in an apartment with noisy neighbours and right next to a busy bus street that shakes the entire building. Plus I have an indoor garden beside me with fans and hydroponics stuff that's always making an annoying hum sound. 

What I ended up doing was testing the GAIN on my microphone (I have a blue yeti) and making it quiet so it doesnt pick up very much beyond about 6-10ft away. It still picks up loud cars and about 20% of the bus sound going by and all my gardening sounds. But it's A LOT less. 

But the problem I had then was really QUIET audio. So I put the audio into Audacity (or really any audio editing program) and applying a really good noise filter (noise filters/reducers in Camtasia/ScreenFlow/etc are not very good). Then I looked up some additional methods for making the sound louder without making it sound like I'm screaming and tweaked the audio with several additional filters. I'd tell you which ones but it's going to be different for everybody, unfortunately. It took about 3 days of exploring for me to figure out "my process" when editing audio. 

After that I edit the audio directly. I listen to the entire lesson and cut out some of the filler words I use (and some of the funny Canadian things I say). Export it as a high quality mp3 or .wav, and in my video editing software I add a layer for the audio.

I still cant get rid of 100% of the noise, but it's VERY CLOSE. And only I can tell because I'm listening for it with good headphones.

This is a time-expensive process. If you can, limit your environmental sounds first. Otherwise software is the last resort and there's only so much we can do. But for me, it's worked out really well (aside from having to edit audio AND video now).

View solution in original post

Go to solution

@Gokul I personally use Krisp (krisp.ai) and works perfectly for me, there is a free plan for 120 mins a week but I use the unlimited mins pro plan. It's the only thing I now use for my recordings, hope it helps :

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Go to solution

@Gokul , i have been sometime in that situation, recording some stuff in south east asia with full of free ranging dogs around outside barking at night, which I love, but is nt good for audio. I coped with that by "deleting background noice" in editing setting, and... making a recording space witha carton, with my head and the microphone inside, and a hole to see the scree of the computer... a bit cracy but, hey.. as creators we must be creative! 

Go to solution

@MarcoAdda75 This sounds funny. But, hey, we should be creative. 

Engineer, Engineering Academy-Nepal

Go to solution

😉 

Go to solution

It's much better to work or study at night  . There's little or no disturbance during night and if any ...your headphones can do the rest of job . I 

prefer to work around 3-6am .

@Gokul wrote:

Hello Instructors

I live in a very noisy environment. During the day, it's the people. During the night, it's the dogs. So, guys, how do you deal with the noise in your environment? 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.