free course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free course

Hi everyone!

I have a question about how free course can help me bettersell the course and what is its mechanism? Will it take time in free option?

Thanks

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HoushangFal420

Many in this group would undoubtedly argue that free courses are bad leading to students who never watch the course or leave bad reviews.  I've found the first observation to be true and the second to not be.

First, don't make your courses free.  Instead, create a free coupon.

Second, if you post your free coupon on a site called BestBlackHatForum.com you will get literally hundreds to thousands of student per day.

The benefits of giving away free courses are three fold:

1) Bolster your instructor and course student count.  Having 1,000 students looks a lot better than having a dozen student to prospective buyers.

2) Although it is true that BBHF students will most likely never watch your course, a few will and out of those few there are simple ways to get good reviews (if they don't simply leave reviews naturally after watching).

3) More students means more opportunites to sell additional courses through promotional announcements.

Use of free coupons is a balancing act but I've found that adding students who would never have bought my course in the first place at least bolsters my student numbers while providing an opportunity for positive reviews.

$0.02,

---Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HoushangFal420

Another way to use free courses:

Again, use a free coupon and don't make the course free.

All Udemy instructors are stuck with the fact that $9.99 is as low as we can go with discount coupons.  In the days when there were no limits I used to rake in money with $3 coupons, but now we're all stuck.

Students have seen $9.99 price tags until they're sick of them.  But how to offer courses cheaper?

Here's what I do:

First, I always like to have a give away course in each niche in which I teach.

Send a promo announcement offering "2 for 1":

Buy this first course and get this related give away course free.

Note you provide both your $9.99 link for the primary course and your free link in the email so you're depending upon the trust model for people to buy your course and not just get the free course, but I've found that people are trustworthy enough to make great money off this promotional approach.

Again, hope this helps,

---Brian

GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Houshang,

The overall feeling is that free courses are not such a great idea. They tend to attract course collectors and bots and tend to receive lower reviews. Most of the people will never start the course and likely not be willing to spend money in the future to buy courses. 

I think a better approach is to offer limited free coupons. I tend to give personalized coupons to people I know fall within my target market and are likely to take the course because they need the information. This yields better feedback, better course involvement, and better reviews. It also means these people are likely to want to buy my future course.

If you search "free course" using the search function, you'll find several other conversations about that, I have seen 4-5 already since this platform started. Best of luck! 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Thank you very much for your attention. I've freeed my course one month ago. What next step should I do to avoid harm? 

free houshang falahrezaei.jpg

@GregReverdiau wrote:

Houshang,

The overall feeling is that free courses are not such a great idea. They tend to attract course collectors and bots and tend to receive lower reviews. Most of the people will never start the course and likely not be willing to spend money in the future to buy courses. 

I think a better approach is to offer limited free coupons. I tend to give personalized coupons to people I know fall within my target market and are likely to take the course because they need the information. This yields better feedback, better course involvement, and better reviews. It also means these people are likely to want to buy my future course.

If you search "free course" using the search function, you'll find several other conversations about that, I have seen 4-5 already since this platform started. Best of luck! 

GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

The idea with making a course free is to get people to take the course and give you reviews (aka creating social proof). You have 1500 students and 1 review (a good one, which is awesome!). Try to create an educational announcement to get people excited about the course so they start it and eventually give you a review. The best way I found to get involvement is to create a connection with your students. Give them a challenge, give them updates, invite them to ask questions in the Q&A, whatever it is, get them involved. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors