Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Udemy content policy update

Lili
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Instructors,

As Udemy continues to grow to serve more students in more parts of the world than ever before, we're making some updates to our content policies. These updates include changes or clarifications regarding restricted topics, Private Label Rights content, and content for young learners. Read more in the Teaching Center.

If you have general questions about this update, feel free to ask them here. If you have questions about what a policy update means for you, please reach out to policy@udemy.com for assistance.

16 Comments
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@Lili

"We’re also updating our policy to eliminate Private Label Rights (PLR) content. "

I am not sure what PLR is. Can you explain?

Lili
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LawrenceMMiller - "Private Label Rights" is a specific type of license often used to sell a work at a relatively large scale to parties who then resell it further. The licensee may be given some latitutude to rebrand that content under their own name.

JohnBura
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Is PLR just for UFB?

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

I thought PLR hasn't been allowed for 5 years or so.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UdemyStudio/permalink/900261143328408/

Interesting that it's now banned again.

The post doesn't say UFB. There should *not* be on PLR on Udemy, period. Make original content. Don't try to sell someone else's work as your own even if you're legally allowed to.

(Edited for typo)

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Regarding "fringe" theories, are we going to see the end of "hypnosis", "EFT", "tapping", "NLP", and other unproven theories too?

There are instructors who have nothing BUT hypnosis courses. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Lili
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone - thanks for the questions. 

@JohnBura - no, these policies are for the entire Udemy platform.

@ScottDuffy - All of these policy areas can evolve, but for now, we are focused primarily on fringe theories which are actively opposed by the scientific community, such as flat earth or "anti-vax" content. Other content areas may not rise to the level of true fringe theory, but remain unproven. We will continue to be mindful of courses which are using spammy or overpromising language - especially when discussing content in these areas.

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

"How to get psychic powers through hypnosis" doesn't have a huge "actively opposed in the scientific community" element, true.

That's because it's completely ridiculous.

I encourage Udemy to evolve a bit faster on banning stuff that is clearly, clearly false.

HenriqueGDeC
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

A non-specific definition like "Fringe theories" is bound to become completely arbitrary. As some pointed out, hypnosis would be an example, all the Reiki courses, many fields in psychology are technically pseudo-scientific, healing through stones/vibration/a million other things, some martial arts, some exercise courses, etc. And if you use "against scientific consensus" as a metric, you'd have to ban all courses regarding spirituality too.

I think it's a terrible rule bound to make MUCH more harm than a dumb flat-earth course would ever do.

Lili
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ScottDuffy and @HenriqueGDeC -

You both bring up good points for either side of this policy. The line between what is fringe and what is unproven is itself sometimes subject to opinion.

We are currently using a narrow interpretation of fringe theories and focusing on subject areas seen to cause greatest harm on other user-generated content platforms. We will continue to monitor student feedback in determining where adjustments would best be targeted. Our policies on overpromising can fill some of gap between these two groups so that we can find a way to keep everyone satisfied in their experience on the site.

Please do write in to the Policy Team (policy@udemy.com) with your concerns on specific categories or courses and we can incorporate them into ongoing audits, even if you're not sure they violate our current restricted topics or course materials policies.

Thank you!

JeffSharman592
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

I am sending this to you because I have had no response from Udemy by creating a support ticket. I have always sent out promotional emails for my courses. I have sent them to all related courses without a problem. 

I have just tried to send one today, and when I do my normal search for my relevant courses to include, it does not find them. Also, my Promotional email history has disappeared. As far as I know, I have not breached any rules( I have received no emails or messages) or reached my limit for the month. I have never had this problem before. Any idea's?

Abbie
Retired
Retired

Hey @JeffSharman592, thanks for reaching out to support. Please keep in mind the community is not an escalation channel and the team is best equipped to look into this for you. You can expect a response from them in approximately 24-48 hours. 

karenewells
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

@Lili can you advise if courses that come under self development that might be complementary therapies, are going to be restricted? Its disappointing to see fellow instructors comments on here on what certain things are? 

I would like to know please as per your post.

Thanks

Karen

Lili
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @karenewells - courses on therapy would be considered distinct from other courses which were restricted under these policy updates. Marital counseling, for example, is called out as permitted.

If you have questions on how to balance topics which are restricted within the context of another course subject, please reach out to policy@udemy.com to discuss your plans. Some courses are still being worked on as we learn more from instructors and how they seek to help their students in these areas.

karenewells
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

@Lili thank you - can you please advise the courses or topic matters or categories that are now restricted.

Lili
Community Manager
Community Manager

@karenewells - you can find the full list of restricted topics in the article here: Restricted Topics

karenewells
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

@Lili thank you. I now know everything is fine, just other instructors judgements of course topics. Thank you.