Wednesday Giveaway - What advice would you give your past self?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wednesday Giveaway - What advice would you give your past self?

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Instructor Community! Welcome to day 3 of our Udemy t-shirt giveaway!

Each day this week we are giving away “I Teach with Udemy” t-shirts to the first 10 instructors who answer a daily prompt. The daily prompt will be posted at an undisclosed time each day and the first 10 instructors who respond will get a t-shirt (unless you've already gotten one -- then it'll go to the next person who hasn't)

Today’s prompt: If you could go back in time, what advice would you give your past instructor self?

*Limit one per person

40 Comments
RutujaR
Observer
Observer

I would suggest myself that don't rush to publish the course. Take your time. Make it as better as you can.  Take time to make it more and more student friendly. Think from their perspective. Once you are satisfied then only publish it. 

Sahinvari
Observer
Observer

I would say "Hey bro, don't worry about the future, worry about the present. Just take your time, create more content and learn more today. So you can improve yourself and share more valuable experiences tomorrow."

GiorgioRay
Observer
Observer

Be present, enjoy every moment, be patient with you and the world, look for stillness in everything.

JaikishanMohanty
Researcher
Researcher

If I could go back in time, I would give advice to myself that rather than completing the video lecture, do some practical or real time implementation of whatever I have learnt from the instructor.

Our main goal always should be to implement on real world, whatever we are learning.

That's What I give to my students whenever I create new course on udemy.

Thanks,

@JaikishanMohanty 

LaxmiSachde
Researcher
Researcher

Create Community in every social media

リマー
Observer
Observer

とりあえず、やってみよう!

あなたのそれを待っている人がいるよ。

EWTIC_Mentor
Observer
Observer

Thanks for A2A @Bella 

Although my students love my teaching style and give me 5 star ratings but along with conventional education, I should have advised myself to learn the Teaching skills and how to create best courses. Doing a degree in Teaching and Social Psychology would have been a great help. I would also have suggested myself to learn more skills online instead of wasting time looking for the best school or company in outside world.

ThomasJanssen
Observer
Observer

I would definitely advice myself to launch as soon as possible with your first course 🙂 that's when you start gathering feedback and becoming better every day. Don't waste your time hesitating and making assumptions 🙂

EdenMarco445
Researcher
Researcher

make a udemy course, now!

ba0708
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Quality above all. If the quality is high, success will come. Also be laser focused on what students need to know and not just what you want to talk about, because it may not matter to a lot of people. Find out exactly who your target audience is and cover their needs.

Alexia
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

Love yourself

SEAbhishek
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I would like to suggest myself that take your enough time in making or create the content to make it best that helps the students most and create the content more knowledgeable and more attractive. Because attractive videos are liked by everyone.

Thanks

SE Abhishek.

YunusOrak
Observer
Observer

Don't forget to make good use of every time.

Mubeen
Observer
Observer

I would say that " Make the course perfect as the students want and put the great content"

I would tell myself that I don't need anyone's permission to pursue my dreams. I would tell my past self to stop waiting... it's similar to Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. She always had the power to return home. I would say, "Hey Past Self you already have the power to do what you want, you just need to realize it. Do it NOW!" 🙂

ismailkhuz16
Observer
Observer

I would tell myself that create useful course trend course for the students which give grow and up skills students for next level for their career in life and future 

RosamundeBo395
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

I would suggest spending time learning how to edit my videos, and not trying to get each video done in one take.  It would have saved some time not having to start all over again if I make a mistake five minutes in!

K_Rajmani
Observer
Observer

Don't worry about future just keep learning and growing and make the best possible courses and develop new and innovative products and books so that community can learn inspire and grow .

success isn't a wish remember its a choice .

IlkinCavadovpan
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Thank you Bella, i want to winnn:)

KylePew
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Start now!

ChrisMall
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Content is king.

IlkinCavadovpan
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@Bella  Who win?🥲☹😪

KuldeepShar285
Researcher
Researcher

just wanna say, enjoy what you wanna teach. don't worry about results, everyone fails and you gonna fail too, don't even think of result now. you gonna more when you teach. so just start teaching stop thinking about what gonna be benifit. 

Jeremypsutton
Observer
Observer

I would tell my younger self to live without fear of failure.

serchagoyavilla
Observer
Observer

I would tell my past self, “don’t be afraid, teach, learn and live”. Life is short and you have to live it at his fullest!!! 

KristenSantana
Observer
Observer

Just get started.... get the first course out so you learn the skills and start to get feedback from students. I consider my first course a proof of concept and asked friends and family for feedback as well. So many great ideas that I can't wait to incorporate into my next course.

楽しんで作ろう!そして、より品質の高いものを作ろう!

NickMaddinson
Researcher
Researcher

The one advise I would give myself is to listen to your inner voice, give your best and pray. Everything else is planned by God. So stop worrying and share your knowledge on Udemy and spread happiness and wisdom one day at a time.

skknodax
Observer
Observer

Content quality is the key --  thinking critically about the comprehension, retention, and practicality of the courses before publishing them!

ekmelcetin
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

I sometimes ask myself "why didnt you publish courses on udemy before". I had 10 years of experience then I published my first course but before that, I was taking courses on udemy for 5 years. So if I could do that, I could go back in time and say myself "publish your course, publish your course, be the first" 🙂 sth like that

NataliaS
Researcher
Researcher

Don't afraid, don't hesitate, never mind about haters and start right now!

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, thank you for participating in this thread and sharing your words of wisdom! We absolutely love reading each one of your advice.

And of course, congratulations on winning the Udemy T-shirt @RutujaR@Sahinvari@GiorgioRay@JaikishanMohanty@LaxmiSachde@リマー@EWTIC_Mentor@ThomasJanssen@EdenMarco445 and @ba0708! 🎉 Please fill out this form to claim your prize. 

Bella_2-1636035849813.gif

For anyone who would still like to score a T-shirt, stay tuned for our next prompt question today, you still have chances! 👀 

IlkinCavadovpan
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@Bella  Hello, the sweety community waiting for Thursday game😀

GaneshPadal341
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

I would have told myself to create the FREE courses during the initial days itself as those helped me to introduce many students. 

GregoryCaremans
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Don't stop publishing new courses. Don't get comfortable. It's a number's game...

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing @GaneshPadal341 and @GregoryCaremans

skknodax
Observer
Observer

A little faster generation of captions of published lectures.

TomOphir
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

Do some research about sound engineering and video production before starting your first course....  

SkillGems
Researcher
Researcher

I took almost 6 months to publish my first  course in covid time,I  learned allot about the course creation and how to use  premierepro and editing and avoiding background  noise, adding graphics so many things learnt in this period.After that my job is somewhat easier to publish remaing courses much faster.I published  6 courses in a year by spending 1 or 2 hours per day as a part time hustle.

1.My suggestion is always think about the student perspective. engagement is the key. Whatever the topic you are covering always develope and try to engage every movement and minute.It leads to get succeed in your online teaching.

2.Try to prepare notes first and  go for video next with clear mind and organized manner.

3.Create quizzes 

4.Add value to the course and write perfect course outcomes.

These are the poins I learned in a year or so.

Anointed176
Rookie
Rookie

yo yo yo yo my people am a nubie in