Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcoming CorpU to Udemy!

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

As you may have heard, today we're welcoming a new addition to Udemy: we've acquired CorpU, a pioneering provider of cohort-based programs for corporate learners. CorpU's model blends live and asynchronous learning to help companies develop strong leadership capabilities, and is trusted by companies including CVS Health, BJ’s Wholesale Club, and Rite Aid. We’re excited for the entire CorpU team to join Udemy!

Udemy Business will offer the CorpU solution as a new, add-on offering for our corporate customers. This expands our ability to serve corporate needs, enabling us to provide our deep on-demand training content as well as cohort-based, expert-guided business training for corporate management and leadership teams. 

As we introduce CorpU to our learners and customers, we'll offer the CorpU solution as a standalone supplemental offering for current and new Udemy Business customers. Instructors participating in Udemy Business subscription offerings will earn revenue from the Udemy Business program just as they do now, with CorpU faculty and Udemy instructors remaining distinct for the time being. 

We're excited to add the CorpU team to Udemy and deepen our  training relationships with corporate customers around the world. If you have questions about the CorpU platform, please jump in below.

9 Comments
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Sooooo.... this is interesting, to say the least! I have spent some time going through CorpU's website to understand exactly what they do. The focus of their courses are essentially the same as my own courses (management and leadership development). At this point I don't know whether this will be a good or bad thing for the marketing of my courses by Udemy. 

A couple of times over the past years I have suggested to Udemy management that they expand to offering synchronous as well as a the current asynchronous model. Before Udemy I always did my training with leadership teams and required them to work together to implement culture change, practice problem-solving, organization design, etc. The collaboration within the leadership team and the resulting accountability greatly increased the impact versus a "do what you want when you want" model. 

I hope as you work on the process of integrating this company you consider engaging current Udemy instructors so the process is bi-directional. Good luck with the integration. I know how problematic that can be. 

JohnBura
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

CorpU was founded in 1997. This is an interesting acquisition as it's mostly a course producer. I guess with A Cloud Guru being sold, Udemy has to now acquire other companies doing this kind of work. 

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@JohnBura It isn't a course producer in the sense that we produce courses. It is a completely different model with live, group presentations and discussion. Also, they are entirely in the leadership development space, not in the technology space. They are synchronous where we are asynchronous. These diagrams help explain the differences and the advantage of what they do, and the advantages of what we do.

Asynchronous and synchronous learning.pngAsynchronous and synchronous learning.JPG 

SaiAcuityIn756
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Will be interesting to see how CorpU integrates with existing UFB corporate clients. While each UFB corporate uses Udemy leadership & mgmt courses for their staff, adding the synchronous element might add value to the overall engagement. Scaling synchronous might be a challenge and that's where our existing successful asynchronous model comes in.

Win-win for Udemy and UFB clients!

Q1) Will Udemy come up with a synchronous model & allow Instructors too to offer more value-added learning which would positively impact our UFB clients.

Q2)Will Udemy open up CorpU subscription to Non-UFB/Individual participants?

Q3)Will existing Leadership/Mgmt Instructors take a hit due to CorpU acquisition?

are some immediate questions from my side.

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

@LawrenceMMiller @SaiAcuityIn756 @JohnBura I appreciate your discussion around this acquisition and how it impacts instructors & Udemy as a whole.

I will take your questions to the larger team to get more specific answers for you, but in the meantime, I can say that we see CorpU and the Udemy marketplace serving different audiences with different learning needs, so we expect them to complement each other. 

As far as UFB is concerned, CorpU and Udemy Business will continue to be separate offerings. In the initial offering, instructors will remain in their respective programs (UFB or CorpU), although it's certainly possible that there may be some overlap in the future.

bala2020
Researcher
Researcher

This is great news. This gives a great opportunity to showcase some of our best instructors like Lawrence Miller and others, who have distinguished themselves with great corporate and consulting achievemts.

Sometimes I felt that Udemy is levelling the field a bit too much in favour of people who think business management is all about some technology and software packages only. Yes, they do matter, but management is much more. and I am happy Udemy is becoming sensitive to this fact.

And I am happy that Udemy will now be able to give a different kind of opportunity to people like Miller and ... hopefully people like me.

Bala

(Balachandran S)

AbdurrahmanTekin
Researcher
Researcher

Great news, congratulations. 🙂

Dr. Anjali G
Researcher
Researcher

Oh, that sounds great!

How to get involved in this course creation?

What's the procedure?

Would like to contribute a few courses for CorpU

Would like to know the details involved?

-- Anjali

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Dr. Anjali G , we are happy to hear about your interest in getting involved! Currently, the CorpU offering is separate from the Udemy marketplace. As we continue to build the businesses together, we will make sure to inform our instructors of any relevant updates in the way we work with these programs. 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community