cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s new with coding exercises: October 2022 update

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Building on our update in August, check out the changes we’ve made to coding exercises in the past few months! We are continuing to improve this tool so that you can offer your learners authentic ways to practice and assess their comprehension.

1. We released code snippets and auto-completion features to help learners practice similar to an integrated development environment (IDE). Code snippets are templates that make it easier to enter repeating code patterns.
  2. You can now create coding exercises in Java 17 with JUnit5. Java is one of our most popular programming languages, and these improvements could be helpful for the 600,000+ learners who are enrolled in a Java development course. 
  3. When learners open coding exercises in a course, they’ll now see a fully-extended environment. It’s a smaller-scale design change, but we’re hoping it improves the user experience for you and your learners.

Beyond these improvements, we’re working on new designs for coding exercises that align with some of the top requests we’ve heard from you and learners. We’ll continue to update the community and this teaching center article as we make progress on the initiative!

5 Comments
MichaelPog
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

This is great. Thank you for the update @Bella .

jeanphi
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Awesome! I really thought the integrated IDE was becoming legacy code.
My Java students will be very happy to read about that!

JP

DiogoAlvesd487
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Nice, well done!

ValentinDespa
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Thanks for the update, @Bella 

While I can see the improved IDE, I can't find the code snippets. Where is that functionality documented?

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ValentinDespa, thanks for flagging that this isn't yet fully covered in the help articles. I'd love to offer some more info here:

From now on; both instructors and learners will be able to use Code Snippets and Auto-Completion features in coding exercises.

Code snippets are templates that make it easier to enter repeating code patterns. Check out the screenshot below for an idea of how it looks like in the product:

Bella_1-1667251219665.png

Basically, Autocomplete feature recommends code snippets and users don't need to remember programming syntax and the names. 

Bella_3-1667251480965.png

New and improved documentation should be coming out over the next few months to help guide instructors through the new features and design! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community