1st Video uploaded on Udemy: good quality locally but horrible on Udemy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st Video uploaded on Udemy: good quality locally but horrible on Udemy

Hello and many thanks in advance for your kind help!

I have uploaded my first video on Udemy (format: mp4). I used Camtasia and the built-in micro of my Apple Macbook Pro (despite the online recommendations from Udemy for using an external micro instead).

The video is great when played locally on my computer. But when uploaded on Udemy and being streamed, the following issues occur:

1) the overall quality is horrible

2) the background music is much louder than it was locally and thus covers my recorded voice: you can barely understand what I say while it is perfect when playing the mp4 locally on my computer

3) I had separated the recording of the PowerPoint slides from the voice recording, which was composed of many short voice recordings, but some voice recording, when streamed, are super loud, while some can barely be heard

I am a little stressed now 🙂 Could you please advise? Many thanks!

3 Replies

Hey @Pierre, you didn't mention the file resolution, but if you uploaded videos in 1080p, they'll be displayed in 720p until your course is published and you request our support team to enable adaptive streaming.

You can read more about our requirements and recommendations for course videos in our Course Quality Checklist linked here. Also, check out our Video Standards and Choosing a Camera support article.

If you think something is not working right, please contact instructorsupport@udemy.com and send one of your video files. The team will gladly investigate further.

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

Hi Abbie,

I've had the same issue than Pierre. 

So if I understand correctly. 

Even if I Recorded in 1080p. It's normal that the preview on Udemy is still in 720P.

But once uploaded, we can ask the support to change it to 1080p. 

Did i Understand correctly ? 

thanks in advance 

Jeremy 

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jmatt94Udemy employs an “Adaptive Streaming” player for course videos. This option is not yet available for all Udemy courses, but we’re always happy to enable it by instructor request. When enabled, it means that students can choose an “Auto” streaming option for the course video. With this Auto option, 1080p streaming is possible, if the student has the streaming capability and necessary screen size to take advantage of 1080p.

To get adaptive streaming enabled for your course, please reach out to instructorsupport@udemy.com and our team will be happy to set it up for you.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors