Ads and Affiliate Program

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads and Affiliate Program

I have a question about Udemy Organic vs. Ads and Affilicates. I understand that the instructor revenue share is 50% in the former and 25% in the latter case.

Assume I have a Python related course published on Udemy. Lets say, someone searches for 'Java Tutorials' on Google. He sees a Udemy Ad among the results, clicks on the ad, which takes him to Udemy. He signs up on Udemy, but does NOT enroll for a Java course. Instead he keeps browsing for a few minutes more on Udemy and decides to buy my Python course. In this case, would the sale be considered an Organic sale or an Ads/Affliate sale for me?

3 Replies

Hey @JohnHonai, great question. Similar to affiliates, visits from Udemy's paid ads are tracked past the initial click to Udemy, for a period of 7 days. In the example you gave, we would expect this sale to be classified as an ad program sale.

However, if the student clicks an ad but buys a course with your instructor coupon, the course sale is attributed to the instructor (97%).

Thank you, @JocelynH !

I am somewhat clear, but I have a follow up question if you don't mind.

I am making up another scenario:

A person googles for 'Java tutorials', sees a Udemy Ad among the Google results, clicks and comes to Udemy and signs up. On the same day itself, he buys 5 courses from Udemy (5 different instructors). The courses that he finally ends up buying have nothing to do with Java, they are all music related courses. Out of these 5 instructors, assume 3 have opted in for the Marketing Boost program, and 2 have opted out of the Marketing Boost Program. Assume the sale price of the course was $10 after reducing taxes. For the 3 instructors who have opted in for Marketing Boost, their revenue will be $2.50 each. For the 2 instructors who have opted out of Marketing Boost, their revenue will be $5 each.

Is my understanding correct?

Hey @JohnHonai, in essence, you're correct. If a student clicks a Udemy ad (for any course, topic, or Udemy in general), within those 7 days, all courses they purchase without an instructor coupon is counted as an ad sale. However, if that same student purchased a course from an instructor who is opted out of marketing boost, the sale would be counted as organic.

When an instructor is opted out of marketing boost, we don't directly advertise their courses or retarget students who visit their landing pages. However, there can be incidental benefits from our ads like the situation you're describing.

Hope that helps!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors