Are computer generated voices acceptable?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are computer generated voices acceptable?

Go to solution

Although my voice is ok, I've had the snuffles for far too long. I've starting creating my first course Learn C Games Programming and discovered that text-to-speech voices on Windows 10 are pretty good.  They sound natural with only the odd place where you might realise it's not a human.

I have done voice recording before (using Camtasia for screencasts)  and I feel that text-to-speech can increase the throughput. I'm happy to upload a sample of what I've done. 

So I just wanted to sound people out on this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Text to speech software isn't allowed on Udemy. If students notice it's not a human, they can report you and your course can be taken down. https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229232367-Audio-Standards-and-Choosing-a-Microphone

View solution in original post

18 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

Text to speech software isn't allowed on Udemy. If students notice it's not a human, they can report you and your course can be taken down. https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229232367-Audio-Standards-and-Choosing-a-Microphone

Go to solution

Ah thank you. I had missed that. Just as well I asked!

DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @DavidHBolton I know these things have improved but they are still text-to-speak and generally people can tell and although you think it's ok most people dislike it. 

Go to solution

Dear all, 

today's text-to-speech voices are very good. Our students have never complained about the text-to-speech voices. Even most of the voices on the internet are computer voices. Why doesn't Udemy synchronize with digitalization and accept computer voices?

Go to solution

Now there is the time of AI and text to speech is part of that. We should switch to the computer generated voiceovers for easy understanding

Go to solution

I disagree, just check Speechelo. I am sure even you cannot recognize it if you didn't know it is an AI voice!

Go to solution

Hello,

I totally agree with @CCECCentreo406  did you heard of Speechelo?!

They are super realistic and nice, why didn't allow instead of some terrible accents and pronunciation using those great natural technologies?

Your rules are not logical when technology going further every day.

Just try Speechelo, you cannot even recognize it is not a human!

I am waiting for the Udemy team to resppond.

Thanks.

Go to solution

Udemy team should follow the technology. New generation is used to TTS, STT and all emerging technologies. 

Go to solution

Agreed

Go to solution

Actually, I think I have a question//Solution.

Is that Udemy support multi-voice/language for tutorial videos?

If possible, we could put our original voice and multiple generated voice with different accents and languages. 

Go to solution

What if I own up to it and this is the easiest way for me to produce videos and in the first video I introduce the voice as my cute robotic co-presenter for the rest of the course?

Google Cloud TTS produces realistic voices as well as play.ht (play.ht seems to be the best among all of them)

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi @Hristo_Iliev, that's a great question! Unfortunately, I'm afraid this wouldn't be possible as using any type of speech software to narrate your courses is not allowed.

Feel free to contact our Trust & Safety team at policy@udemy.com if you have any further questions - they will be happy to help. 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

Go to solution

I totally agree with you. If the student is acknowledged about that and he/she accepts, there is no problem at all.

Go to solution

Hello,

Is this still forbiden to use speech to text IA ? Voices from these IA (google, Amazon) are really nice and better than my own french accent ! 

You could authorize them but we could mark that voices are atrificial in the presentation for people to be warned about this no ??

FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

According to https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229232367-Audio-Standards-and-Choosing-a-Microphone " it is still the case that "Text to speech software is not allowed; students want to hear directly from you as an instructor to build trust."

While I agree AI-generated voices are getting better, changing that policy would also make it too easy for bad actors to quickly generate courses based on stolen content and stuff. 

Most Americans think French accents are kind of cool 🙂 It could actually be to your advantage.

Go to solution

Let me tell you a story that happened before my eyes. I met a person who had a speech impediment, but he had a significant store of knowledge. With the help of AI, he received a voice, and he decided to share his knowledge with the world by creating a course on Udemy. He prepared the material, made assignments for his students, recorded a video, and voiced it with the help of AI. But guess what? He got rejected. Why? Because he used AI to voice his course.

Text to speech software is not allowed on Udemy. We’ve found that students do not like computerised voice overs. You will need to add your actual voice to your lectures before we can move forward.

Now, let me ask you, is it difficult to show a label that says “recorded with AI”? Do people not have the right to decide for themselves whether they want to listen to the voice of AI to gain knowledge, or is the voice too important for them?

As someone who has studied with many teachers, I can tell you that not all of them were good speakers. But I was drawn to their knowledge, and that’s what mattered to me. It’s a shame and a disgrace that we reject people’s courses just because they used AI to voice them.

Discrimination against people with disabilities is unfortunately a common problem that persists in many parts of the world. People with disabilities face various forms of discrimination, including social exclusion, limited access to education, healthcare, and employment opportunities, and even physical barriers that make it difficult for them to move around and access public spaces.

Go to solution

Olá. Sou nova por aqui. 

Mas, em princípio, o que vc precisa analisar são as regras de cada empresa.

Cada uma tem suas políticas.

Go to solution

I have two experiences regarding this. Almost six months back when I use text to speech voices for my Udemy course promo videos, that time Udemy raised objection on it that auto generated voices are prohibited here.

Whereas, last week I upload and publish a course of my client whom all video lectures were seemed from auto generated voiceovers. But I astonished that Udemy approve these video lectures and course was published successfully. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors