Backdrop recommendation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdrop recommendation

Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good backdrop recommendation.

Right now I've been filming with just a white wall behind me, and to mix it up sometimes I sit at my desk for filming. But, I'm looking for a nice, but not too expensive backdrop (in a somewhat neutral color) that I can incorporate into my setup.

I have 2 basic Neewer Led video lights, but nothing fancier than that would be able to help in the lighting department, so that's why a neutral color is probably best for me.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

I would recommend that you invest in a green screen. That gives you maximum flexibility and you can then add any photo image you want behind you in editing. This is the most common solution unless you have a sitting area that you particularly like.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Go to solution

Hi @NikkiParsons, check out this post about backdrops here. There are some suggestions for backdrops over there. 

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

I would recommend that you invest in a green screen. That gives you maximum flexibility and you can then add any photo image you want behind you in editing. This is the most common solution unless you have a sitting area that you particularly like.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Thanks! There are so many options for green screens out there - do you have a recommendation? 🙂

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Nikki,

If you go here (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=green%20screen%20kits&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps) you will find lots of options, green screens plus lighting. 

The first green screen I got was too narrow. I wave my arms sometimes and they would go off the screen, so I got a larger one, twelve feet wide with a frame. That has worked out well. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

I bought a felt green screen (the thickness was good for keeping the wrinkles out). Instead of springing for a stand, I just pinned it to the wall, which works well, too.

Go to solution

Green screens are good options, you can decide in post-production whichever backdrop you would like. However, there are more considerations, such as buying the green screen, lighting it, lighting yourself apart from it, and figuring out the post-production editing process (although, technology has come a long way, as has keying!). So, I would recommend looking into it, but I can also offer some quicker fixes for now:

•  Black velvet (or some black, non-shiny material) - ok, it's not fancy, but it's not fussy, either. You don't have to worry about lighting it, since the black will absorb the light, and you don't have to worry about odd colors bouncing off of it and reflecting on you (I made the mistake of filming in a room with bright green shelves in the background and the subject looked sick because of the color!)
  •  Or add some see-through shelving behind you, with enough non-descript knick-knacks for it not to feel empty, and throw a cheap Home Depot shop light or two on the floor between the shelf and wall for some interesting up-lighting (and to help keep your camera lights from casting all kinds of shadows on the wall behind). Ta da!

Shannon Murdoch

Video Production Manager

Go to solution

You can go to amazon or ebay and search for "muslin" and an endless list of bachdrops will come up.

Personally I'm not a fan of green screen because most videos I see look weird. And not being a video expert I prefer a quick n easy backdrop.

You can also paint a wall white, black or green.

Depending on what effect you want, curtains work too. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors