Can I use copyright content such as videogame gameplay and music in tutorial videos?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use copyright content such as videogame gameplay and music in tutorial videos?

Go to solution

Title. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Strictly NO. However, you can find copyright free gameplay and music on youtube. You can use that without a doubt. 

@SkillUp wrote:

Title. Thanks. 

Engineer, Engineering Academy-Nepal

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Go to solution

Strictly NO. However, you can find copyright free gameplay and music on youtube. You can use that without a doubt. 

@SkillUp wrote:

Title. Thanks. 

Go to solution

Thank you for this response, however it isn't helpful. All gameplay is copyright by its very nature; it's just that the games companies choose not to enforce that right on YouTube as it is in their interests to see the gameplay circulated (for promo purposes). 

My question is: does Udemy prohibit the inclusion of gameplay in the videos you upload?

Go to solution

I can find copyright free gameplay on youtube. However, this is not the answer you are looking for. I thought you wanted to use gameplay as a background for your videos. 

Udemy doesn't prohibit such content, as long as it is yours. However, if the game company makes any claim, then udemy cannot help you. 

Go to solution

Thank you for this. Are you aware  of any  published Udemy policy in relation to this? I couldnt find anything  when I searched for it. Thanks. 

Go to solution

No. I myself upload software tutorials which is, not exactly, but kind of similar to publishing gameplay.

Go to solution

Ok, thank you very much. 

Pino
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

From a legal perspective, you infringe copyright in specific cases only. For instance, if you use game music as your video background music then you are infringing the copyright so you cannot do that. If the music is played in the context of you talking about that music and its authors and the game where it's used in, then it falls in the fair use policy, hence you can do it. Basically, as a rule of thumb, you can say that as long as you are showing a game usage and its music to the end of talking about it, it's ok. If the game footage or music is used as part of your own production (background, intro and so on), then you cannot do that. You can find a lot of literature on this subject, just google "copyright fair use". 

Udemy enforces this rule strictly.

fair-use_med_hr

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Udemy profile - Camtasia 2020 Certified Voyager and Explorer - My LinkedIn - My Facebook
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

It would be best to write policy@udemy.com and ask them.

I suspect their stance is that it's up to you to stay within the bounds of copyright law, and they simply follow DMCA guidelines should the copyright owner file a takedown notice. It seems like you're in a gray area as far as "fair use" goes and you'd be best off asking a lawyer if you're concerned about it.

Go to solution

Great question. I too wanted to know the same. I wanted to show some youtube videos (screen share them) in my course, since they are on the same topic of the lesson and are educational for students to watch, but I want to see if that's ok first. 

Go to solution

Hello, in the case of music the best option is to buy a royalty free music license  to create your project.

There are different types of music licenses depending on the type of project. In the case of educational videos they are quite accessible economically.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors