Can you mention websites and Facebook groups inside course lectures?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you mention websites and Facebook groups inside course lectures?

I thought that you could only mention these in the Bonus lecture, but I just reviewed somebody elses course and they had a lecture where they said " you can follow me on my ABC channel". They did have this in a second to last lecture, which was in the Bonus section - does that make a difference? 

Is this allowed in a course lecture? Would the following be acceptable:

" I also have a blog called ABC which might be of interest to you"

" I have a FaceBook Group called ABC where you can meet other students with a similar interest". 

These would not have links, but they would mention the site names, and maybe show the site on the screen. 

4 Replies

Hi @RPavlis , welcome!

You can check out what's allowed and not allowed in this support article.

I tried to find description of any rules for promnoting external websites, YT channels, FaceBook Groups etc. Is there a link for this?

Are there restrictions? 

That link deals with the bonus lectures. My question was not about bonus lectures.

If the material is free and doesn't require students to sign up or give their email address, then yes, it's OK. In one of my courses I give students links to a few of my youtube videos and tell them that the material is not required for the course but is a free resource if they want to learn more about this specific topic that I mention only briefly in the lecture.

However, I recommend against referring to external material too much. If the students start to think that they've paid money for a list of links to free resources, they won't be too happy 😉  But if you do it sparingly (and linking to your own created content), then I think students will appreciate the opportunity to go into more detail on a topic that might only be tangential to the course material. On the other hand, if the external content is your creation and if it's really important for the course, then it should be part of the course.

The bonus lecture can be used for marketing, e.g., other courses, books, or website that require payment or sign-ups.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors