Captions by default not showing - is this possible?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captions by default not showing - is this possible?

Hi,

I´ve noticed that captions (in my case I have edited all of the Udemy automated captions in English) are by default turned ON when a students starts a course.

The problem is that, in my course, the captions sometimes get in the way of what I am showing on the screen (because I am showing something at the bottom of the screen).

Since I think my english is clear and understandable in my course, I would prefer that captions would be turned OFF by default, with the option for the student to turn them on, not the other way around (turned on by default, with the option for the student to turn them off).

Is there any solution to this?  Any setting where I can have the captions turned off by default?

Many thanks in advance,

Hans

2 Replies
SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @HansPlcGuy - personally I would leave the captions on. Our students are global so although we think we are clear and audible to some we may not be. Plus for people where English is not their first language - they are often translating what we are saying - the CC's are an added bonus here as they help them translate and often help them understand us more clearly. I am an aussie and have had to slow down and 'round out' my accent.

Here is a screenshot on how to disable them if you really want to - go to the captions editorScreen Shot 2020-06-28 at 2.25.43 pm.png

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose

Hi Sharon,

thank you for your reply!

Just to make it more clear, I don´t want to disable the captions.  I know how to do that but thank you for the information anyway.  I would like them to be there, but turned off by default.

So when a student starts a lecture, they should be turned off.  If the student likes to turn them on, they can just click on "CC" and select the caption language.  

At the moment, it seems that captions (if available) are default turned on.  I am just looking for an answer here how the captions work.  Are they by default "turned on" or is there maybe a setting where the student (or the instructor) can set-up what the default is (on or off by default).

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!