Conversion rate

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion rate

Hello,

I published my first course a few days ago and am beginning to see performance stats like number of landing page visitors and conversion rate. What would be considered a good conversion rate on Udemy?

Thanks.

3 Replies
Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

It really depends on category and topic.

Look at insights for your topic and look at the conversion rate:

https://www.udemy.com/instructor/marketplace-insights/

Then compare to your conversion:

https://www.udemy.com/home/teaching/instructor-performance/conversion/visitors?date_filter=month&cou...

One of the topics is 12.5% for instance, my own conversion is 13-32%, so I am happy about how I convert vs. my topic. 

Go look at your topic and your own conversions.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

In addition to what @Thor said, it is relative or subjective term.

But it also tells about the your marketing skills, your promo video, your intro video, your course description, your course image etc. 

Lower the conversation rate as compared to category average, means you have to improve above items. 

But it can be subjective. For example, on my one course, I get 1000 visitors, and I get 100 enrolments, I will have conversation rate of 10%. But on my second course, I get 20 visitors and I get 5 enrolments, my conversation rate will be 25%. Now I cannot really compare my course 1 and course 2 purely based on conversation rate. Because this will be misleading and will give me impression that my course 2 is more successful. 

If I compare my two courses and they are at conversation rate of 5%, but my category conversion rate is around 10%. But my these two courses are the top earning courses, also, according to market insight. But still I am sure that there is need to improve the many things on my course. 

So point is that, use this variable carefully and according to your situation. And you are the better judge of your situation. 

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TwinCivet

Just a quick note...

I don't worry about what's a good or bad conversion rate (though I like Thor's idea for getting the course category average).  Instead, I compare my own courses to one another.  Here's how I interpret the data on the conversion page screen:

1) Higher Landing Page Visitors: More successful course title, keywords, reviews, course length and other niche dominance stats.  And of course better marketing must be factored in.

2) Higher Conversion Rate: Better course description (and other textual material) and better promotional video.

Instead of trying to figure out if you're "good" simply review your own relative numbers and address your own courses that are obviously underperforming.

Hope this helps and best of luck,

---Brian

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors