Course About Software, license, permission and credit?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Course About Software, license, permission and credit?

Go to solution

Hello,

i am planning on making my first course, however I have a question.

I'd like to make a course about programming and how to make a good software.

In order to do that I will have to explain which softwares and environments my students should use and maybe where to look at if they need a documentation to read. 

For example, if I explain how to make a good software using Java programming language, I will have to explain them which programming IDE I use, and I would like to explain them how to use it, how to navigate through it. Then I will explain them what is Java programming language, how to use it and where they should look for if they need help or code explanations, so I will show them online websites such as Java website or maybe even other online resources.

My question is, if I do all the above, should I ask permission to Java company, also to the IDE developer company and finally also to all the owners of the online websites resources or I should be ok just by leaving links and giving credits in the course to them?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

These are questions that really only a lawyer is qualified to answer definitively. However, often companies have posted guidelines on how you may use their trademarks. For Java, it seems fairly permissive:

https://www.oracle.com/legal/trademarks.html

You'd have to check on your IDE. 99% sure it's OK to do what you want, but a few companies do prohibit creating training courses about their products without a license, since they want to make money off of training. If your IDE is open source that's unlikely to be an issue.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

These are questions that really only a lawyer is qualified to answer definitively. However, often companies have posted guidelines on how you may use their trademarks. For Java, it seems fairly permissive:

https://www.oracle.com/legal/trademarks.html

You'd have to check on your IDE. 99% sure it's OK to do what you want, but a few companies do prohibit creating training courses about their products without a license, since they want to make money off of training. If your IDE is open source that's unlikely to be an issue.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors