Course referral links and price setting

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Course referral links and price setting

Hi everyone, 

I am currently marketing my Udemy course and wanted to ask for some guidance on how referral links and coupons work.

I would like to set the price of my course to be a particular price, since I would like to include this price in my marketing content. However, Udemy discounts the course at their discretion since I opted into the deals program, and therefore I cannot market the course at one universal price.

In the referral link resources, I see the following information:

GrandmaLilly_0-1626691232626.png

Is it possible to fix my course price so that it is the same as the price I am putting in my marketing content, regardless of the location of my potential students?

For example, can I create a coupon to set the price as I want it to be? Does that override Udemy's discounts?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @GrandmaLilly, great questions! For instructors who opt into the Udemy Deals Program, Udemy may generate and display a market-specific list price that is different from the base price (except in Japan). This is part of the Terms and Conditions for participating in the Promotional Programs.

When opted into Udemy Deals, this is how coupons will work:

• Current best price: Creates a limited-time offer for the current best price of your course. For instructors in Udemy’s Deals Program, this is based on the lowest price Udemy would offer a given student in that market for your course, at the time you create the coupon. Example: If the lowest discounted price Udemy would offer student A is $14.99 at the time you create the coupon, applying this coupon would show the price as $14.99. The price displayed in the coupon creation flow represents the coupon’s value in the main market for that currency; in other currencies and markets, it will be adjusted to match your course’s local best price. 
  • Custom price: Creates a longer-lasting offer for a price you pick from the range displayed. For instructors in Udemy’s Deals Program, the lower bound of this range will be similar to (but not necessarily lower than) the price Udemy would offer a given student at the time you create the coupon. Example: If Udemy is generally selling your course between $14.99 and $19.99 during promotions, the lowest price you could set with a "Custom Price" coupon might be $16.99.

The only way to fix your course price is by opting out of Udemy Deals, that way, your courses will not be offered at the discount price on the website. For more information, please refer to the documentation here: Instructor Promotional Agreements and Udemy Deals.

I hope this helps clarify this, but if you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know!

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

Hi Bella

Great explanation and thanks. Is it possible for me to know what is the "current best price" for my course, before I sign up for the Udemy Deals Promotions? If yes, where do I look for this? Thanks again.

Prof. BALA

(S.Balachandran)

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @bala2020 Currently there is no way to see if your course is under the current best price since this becomes available when creating coupons in the promotion section. You can find this information in this article here.

Hi Bella, thank you so much for your response 🙂

If I were to opt out of the deals program, would I be able to opt back in again easily?

Is there a process to opt out?

I would like to be part of the program, but I am currrently trying to market my course in order to get it off the ground and therefore at the moment it works best for me to be able to set my course price so I can market authentically. 

I would, however, like to be part of Udemy deals program going forward and so do not want to opt out if it will create problems later in terms of opting back in.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad you asked, @GrandmaLillyIf you opt-out of Udemy Deals and Promotions, you can opt-in again anytime you want with no problems! You can opt-out/opt-in by following this link to your promotional agreements page: https://www.udemy.com/user/edit-promotional-agreements

It is of course up to you, but keep in mind this will mean your course is not eligible for any of the promotions Udemy does for the marketplace. You can learn more about how this marketing benefits you here.

It may take some time after your opt-out date before your courses are no longer promoted via all of our marketing channels, but your courses will no longer be offered at a discount on the Udemy site 10 days after your opt-out date. This 10 day period helps ensure we honor discounts that have already been offered to students in active campaigns.

I totally understand your mindset and the strategy you're having for your course -- we want you to be successful and this is why we ensure you can easily modify your preferences in the marketplace.

Count on us if you have any other questions or need assistance with anything else! 😊

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

Thank you so much Bella! I appreciate all your advice. I did also ask a question regarding a coupon issue I am having as a new discussion. I am sure you'll get to that one too.

Hope you have a great day!

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm always happy to help, @GrandmaLilly😊 

Hmm, I'm not seeing the other discussion. Are you still having issues creating your coupons or has that been resolved? Let me know so I can assist you if not! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors