Don't Make Your First course Free. New Free Courses Are Not Getting Students

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Make Your First course Free. New Free Courses Are Not Getting Students

Hi there,

I am a new instructor on Udemy. But i am late! I am so much disapponted to see that new free courses on Udemy is not getting much students. I was researching and trying to find out other new instructor first free course and i got very bad result. Udemy must have changed the algorithm. Here is an instructor that you can see "https://www.udemy.com/user/pronoy-11/" He published his first free course 1 week ago but got only 100 free students.

I am not going to make courses on Udemy anymore! Because what's the point? After working hard i will get very few students. Good Luck old instructor...

55 Replies

Hi @Mona364, it sounds like what you've been noticing are tests that we're running on our search and discovery algorithms. We're always looking for ways to optimize our search experience so that learners can find the courses that they will love and keep coming back to Udemy for more.

One of the things that we have been testing is the impact that the free course filter has on our search algorithms and student enrollments. We're not getting rid of free courses and believe that free courses are an extremely valuable tool to help students get acquainted with a new topic, instructor, and learning online in general.

As with all of our experiments, these are not permanent changes and only a portion of our users see the test experience. We will be reversing the search filter back to allow filtering by “Free” at the end of the experiment.

While we're running an experiment on the free course filter, I do want to reiterate that there are a lot of factors that influence a students decision to enroll in a course, free or paid, on Udemy including course topic fit, video quality, topic demand, existing supply, etc. We are an open marketplace and can't guarantee that any course will be more or less successful than another. I've also shared your feedback with the team.

Hello @JocelynH,

I wanted to teach on Udemy. I like to teach people! But after doing some research i found out Udemy is making it harder for new instructors to become more successful. I just gave you one link. There are several new instructor's links that i have and i can share with you. So many people are working hard and publishing their first course as free so that their account can get a few students. May be the next time they are planning to publish a paid course. Students do like to pay for a new paid course if the instructor at least have some students. But those instructors are getting ver bad result.

I think the problem is not about "Free Option" in the filter. It is the problem with "Udemy marketing boost". Udemy is not doing "marketing boost" for new instructor's free courses.

Actually i want to teach on Udemy, Can you answer some of my questions?

1) When will Udemy start doing "Marketing boost" for new instructor's free course?
2) Is that thing only happening to those instructors who are not perfect in english speaking, such as: instructor from India/Bangladesh?
3) When Udemy will stop doing tests related to free courses? Can you give a time frame? (new instructor will get more students - test)
3)  How can i publish my first course as free and get more students? (i am excepting that you will give me some tips/tricks)

I know Udemy is an open marketplace and they are not able to force people to buy. But at least Udemy can try people to buy. Most of the instructors don't have any kind of following. They are so much busy in getting degrees and other educational materials that a few of the instructor have good following. Their most follwoing are generated from Udemy. As a new instructor i am not going to spend money to give ads. And now after seeing all those test, i won't. Because i have no idea, what will happen to my paid courses. Thanks for sharing it with the team, may be they will think about the situation of new instructors.

Have a great day!

Hey @Mona364, if you're opted into Udemy Deals, then your course will be included in our promotions. It doesn't matter what language your course is in or where you're located.

I'm unable to share when experiments related to free courses will end. You can expect this particular test to run for a couple more weeks.

The first step to getting students is publishing your course! There are also some really great resources in the community about how to best market your course. I'd recommend using the Search bar and looking up key words like "marketing". You can also look at our Teaching Center which has a 30 day marketing plan.

My last question @JocelynH 

1. So anybody on Udemy who is giving a free course only getting 100-200 students. Udemy is not doing the marketing boosting anymore.
2.Or anybody who is new to Udemy giving a free course only getting 100-200 students. Udemy is not doing the marketing boosting anymore.

Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Why would Udemy spend money on promoting free courses?
They will NEVER make any money on that course. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

My mom don't give me food if I won't work.... Smiley LOL

did you publish your course? On which topic? Why you want to sell it for free? 

No i didn't publish my course. I want to teach free because i want to attract some students on my account. I have 0 students. Now may be Udemy is making new rules that free courses will not get much students. A free course shall get 50-100 students only.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

I love it when someone posts that they are "through with Udemy", like Udemy failed them, and they don't even have a published course on Udemy. 

Have you considered that when courses fail to attract students maybe it is not Udemy's fault. Maybe it is because their course is not good, does not appeal to students, and is in a very crowded marketplace where there are excellent courses. There are a lot of courses that should never have been published. That is the fault of the instructor, not Udemy. I looked at the course you referenced, and to be very honest, it is terrible, and it is up against dozens of very good courses on Python. It has no reason to succeed.

Stop asking to be given something. Udemy is not in the business of making you successful. That is your job. If you develop an excellent course, and if you do the things that YOU need to do to market it, you can build a business here. But, most people fail because they want to blame someone else, the marketplace, instead of looking in the mirror. 

Show us your course and maybe we will say, "Gee that is great! It really should sell." Or we may give you some honest feedback that could lead to success.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Hello M. Miller,

Udemy is making it harder for new instructors to become more successful. I just gave one link. There are several new instructor's links that i have and i can share with you. So many people are working hard and publishing their first course as free so that their account can get a few students. But it is not happening. There are new changes on Udmey algorithm and it may have bad effect on newly published paid courses as well.

Kio Raj
Mechanical Engineer.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Forget about changes to Udemy. Show me a course by a new instructor that is well done, that has been developed with some degree of excellence, by an instructor who has credibility, experience. Then you may have a point.

Do you think that anyone who wants to write a book, get published and make money, succeeds because publishers and bookstores are supposed to make them successful. NO. Most people can't write, don't have good ideas, arent' willing to put in the hard work, etc. Developing courses is the same. You have to do research, develop you presentation and course development skills, and you have to do some marketing yourself. That is how it works. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Hey @LawrenceMMiller ,

Every good instructor start as a 0. New instructor. course link "https://www.udemy.com/course/rxjs-101-course/#instructor-1" Have a rating better than you 4.7. Teaching one of the most valuable topic "Java Script". Course published month 7/2019 and got only 30+ students so far! I shall give you some free course link as well. But Udemy is always testing and testing and not allowing to search for free course.
Selling books and selling online courses are totally different thing. You can not just give an example about their similarity. Do you know there is a thing like "Udemy marketing boost". If an instructor publishes course he needs that to reach more people, if he don't do that his course will not work well. It is not possible to attract a lot of people by just giving ads and uses of other self marketing strategies. If the target is small like getting 1000-2000 paid students then self marekting is good. But if you want to get 100k students in your course then it is impossible to do that as own self marketing. There are a lot of new instructor who are not getting "Udemy marketing boost" for the first free/paid course. Will you say, all of them are bad and can not make courses. Do some research before making any point. You are an old instructor that should not let you think "i don't care about new instructor, new instructor can not make good courses". That's why i care about the changes and i will do care.

Kio Raj
Mechanical Engineer.

You are just gettting rid of your clothes and wanna jump in swimming pool, which is far far away from you. 

Hello @Sijal_Ahmed ,

Same to you! I think your swimming pool have a long distance than my swimming pool. Because i am not teaching CFD.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

The course you showed this time looks like a good course, although I know nothing about that topic. However, it was published only last month. It takes time. You don't build an audience over night. 

We were all new instructors at one point. It took me at least two years and six or seven courses before I was making any significant money. I also went back and completely re-recorded my first two courses because I realized how bad they were and I had learned a lot about creating quality videos. 

Look carefully at this graph of my earnings. The actual numbers are not important. But look how long it took me to get decent results. I worked at it over time. I didn't quit after a month of not getting sales. Don't tell me to do research or try to tell me how Udemy works. I have been studying how the Udemy system works for almost five years. 
Reveue history.JPG

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Miller it is indeed very impressive track record. 

@LawrenceMMiller ,

You will never get it! I have made my point that you asked for. New instructor can be good/ can be better than old instructors. Earning and actual number are related. I am saying it was very much easy to get students 2 years back but now it is becoming hard! I am not that kind of person who says "let it be what it is" I like good changes. Udemy should improve, don't be downgraded. If it was 2 years yearlier this instructor shall have 1000+ students. It is downgrading of Udemy like 2016. New instructors like me would not like to continue. 

Why? Becuase now every one wants to be inscturoctor as everybody knows that online eduction is the future and you can earn good money. 

But this also means you will face furious compitition in marketplace. No average course will beat the existing best sellers or highest rated courses. You have to bring best of best in the market. 

@Sijal_Ahmed 
I know what you are saying. Everybody knows that.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

You seem to know everything, so you should do very well and you don't need the opinions or experience of experienced instructors. 

good luck. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors