Expected number of students

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expected number of students

Hello friends

Being a first time course creator, can I have an idea about the average number of students expected in first month and income. I just wanted to plan my investment. Especially the studio recording. Although a teacher, I have no hands on experience in recorded course creation.

Regards

Veda 

6 Replies

Hi Veda243;

Welcome

You must go to your instructor dashboard ->Marketplace Insights 

Then search your course main fields for instance: C#

At the end you can see the average monthly income.

Regards

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

There is really no way to answer this intelligently, except to say that "it depends..."

It depends on your course catagory, subject.

It depends on your own marketing to your own mail list, or other channels.

It depends on the quality of your instruction, your video presence and delivery.

It depends on your promo video and how convincing that is.

It depends on your credentials and "why should I learn from you?"

It depends.... you can add more.

Do your best on the production of your course, create a great promo video, and do your best to market yourself and your course. Then say a prayer to the God of online learning.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
GrahamNicholls
Community Champion

It’s a pretty much impossible question to answer I’m afraid, there are just so many variables.

Focus on putting out the best course you can and be as engaging as you can be.

Good luck with your course! 

It depends on your topics, the quality of your course and your competition.

But I think, most of us would agree that Udemy is a long term business where the time and the money spent to produce the first 1, 2, 3 or even more courses will not be recoverd, in particualar not in the very first month. 

The best would be to extent your investment horizon to at least one year and to more than just one course.

Hope this helps.

Thor
Community Champion

We really can't answer that, some instructors make $0 some $10,000+, I think my first month was $85. Now I am full  time (1 1/2 year later).

This is like asking what does something on Ebay cost? Some things cost $2, some $100,000, we can't compare. 
Most first courses make $10-500 first month, the higher end ones have a following that helps them with sales.

Udemy is not a get rich quick scheme, but a steady, lots of effort, move to build your courses and student enrollments.

Initially I got a good microphone (ATR2100 - $65), then subscription for video editing, and I slowly add more and more to my list to make my courses better. Do it organically, as you grow and not everything to start with, is my recommendation.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

@Veda243How long is a piece of string? My suggestion is that you aim to create the course with as little financial investment as possible because there are no guarantees of success. Record on your phone by a window. Invest in video editing software like Camtasia. And use Audacity which is free for audio editting. Do not book a recording studio at this stage. Course creation and success are really a work in progress for the vast majority of Instructors. Contrary to belief online courses are not about making money in your sleep....it is not passive income. You will always have to put some work in to make it successful. Marketing is actually harder than course creation. But initially just learning how to create an online course will be a steep learning curve. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors