First course and I'm getting this doubt

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First course and I'm getting this doubt

Hi all, I have just successfully published my first course, I did my best and I believe I gave as much value as I could but I can't help but feel this feeling of doubt that "what if months later and I only got like 10 students" things like that.

Qs:

1. Has anyone else felt that way? how do you cope up with it?

2. How do you advertise your course so that you get as much reach as possible? For now, I'm posting on my Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin accounts, I'm trying to join groups as well that is relevant on my courses and will try to post on those groups as well, if you can add anything to this, please do.

3. How long does it take to start getting results?

4. Where do you draw the line? Like, "Okay, I'm not getting results, I guess this is not the right path for me, I will have to stop doing these online courses and find something else to do."

1 Reply

Hi @aprilpineda 

There are a couple things you need to keep in mind. First, the Udemy marketplace is a VERY crowded space. Therefore, it's unlikely anyone is going to create a course that isn't immediately competing with dozens, or perhaps, hundreds, of other courses on the same topic. There are exceptions of course, but, what this means is that it will probably take a long time for any new course to get noticed and gain some traction.

The most important thing any instructor should do, before you start recording your first lesson, is to determine how many courses your course is going to compete with. It's been my experience that very few instructors do this. They create a course, publish it, and expect to start making hundreds of dollars a month, right away. It simply doesn't work that way. They don't realize their course is competing against 200 others on the same topic.

I never really worried about whether my courses (I have 13 of them) would sell or not. I do this pretty much as a hobby and anything I earn is extra spending money. I think most instructors need to look at it this way. This keeps the stress levels down and makes the whole experience more enjoyable. There are Udemy instructors that make A LOT of money from their courses. The vast majority do not.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors