Free Course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Course

Go to solution

I have a question for the community here. I have recently published four free courses on "Operations Research" totalling to 43 hours. Between 3rd January 2020 till 8th January 2020, (a time span of 4 days, considering that two courses were published on 6th Jan), I have about 1750 registrations.  I have however not a single review so far. What does it mean? Are people grabbing the course because it's free or is it that the time isn't ripe for receiving the first review? I am new to Udemy and would be thankful for a reply from you guys, who are veterans! Eventually I want to make the courses priced, may be after a few months.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Hi MadhuSohani, 

mostly people will leave a review upon completion of the course and many instructors themself encourage users to leave review after completing the course. If people are registering your course , engage with them hopefully they will give you good reviews.

regards

Ali

View solution in original post

Go to solution

Hi, I'm new as you and I'm also in the same situation as you. However, I already foresaw this issue.

Accept or not, it belongs to psychology and it impacts all industries. When I worked in Big FMCG MNCs, I used to run sampling and activation programs at the points of sales to give the samples to the RIGHT targets, many people want to get, even they ask for more. Later we conducted some in-home visits and Focus Groups, we realized that they want to get more because it is free but then they didn't use. There are many reasons: 3 top reasons as: a) get because it's free, use or not, think later, b) let it there, use later but actually they never use, 3) undervalue the free gifts or samples.

In online business, it is the same, there is a model called as Sales Funnel. Awareness ==> Consideration ==> Try ==> Purchase ==> Review and Share.

From Awareness to Purchase is a long distance, and then move to Review and Share. the conversion rate is too too too small! Before trying the 3-day free offer from Udemy suggestion, I also believed that the number of people who enroll but won't see the course is high, and the number of people who completed the course but didn't leave any comments is high as well.

In my points of view, I set clear objectives as 1) it is a sampling to reach and encourage people to try, and 2) hope to get something (only HOPE). Although the conversion rate is low, it is better than nothing.

It is the same I published my book in Amazon Kindle. You know, when I run free offers, people who get the books didn't give any review but when they bought by their real money, they give some reviews.

When I started my cosmetic business, I gave samples to my fan in Facebook. After using, they didn't feedback but the people who bought my products wrote a good review and thank you to me right on the review session. Surprised!

Until now, I have gone through many businesses, I got some compliments or good reviews for the things I sold. I never got any compliments or reviews for the things I gave free. 

Again, directly answer your question by your own statement: "Are people grabbing the course because it's free?" ==> Yes! Never wait for the return from someone to get free!

I don't know which is your course but approximate 2000 enrollment is good starting points for us! We need to do many things to change the situation including the power of words, contents, or quality of the video, etc.

It is just my own opnion.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Go to solution

Hello @MadhuSohani, congratulations on publishing your courses! 

We also have an exclusive space for published instructors (Published Instructor Club) where you can discuss post-publish topics such as marketing and course management there. 

Check out some of our most popular conversations:

Boosting this post so other fellow instructors bump in to share their experiences with you!

Go to solution

Hi MadhuSohani, 

mostly people will leave a review upon completion of the course and many instructors themself encourage users to leave review after completing the course. If people are registering your course , engage with them hopefully they will give you good reviews.

regards

Ali

Go to solution

Thanks a lot Sir

Go to solution

Hi, I'm new as you and I'm also in the same situation as you. However, I already foresaw this issue.

Accept or not, it belongs to psychology and it impacts all industries. When I worked in Big FMCG MNCs, I used to run sampling and activation programs at the points of sales to give the samples to the RIGHT targets, many people want to get, even they ask for more. Later we conducted some in-home visits and Focus Groups, we realized that they want to get more because it is free but then they didn't use. There are many reasons: 3 top reasons as: a) get because it's free, use or not, think later, b) let it there, use later but actually they never use, 3) undervalue the free gifts or samples.

In online business, it is the same, there is a model called as Sales Funnel. Awareness ==> Consideration ==> Try ==> Purchase ==> Review and Share.

From Awareness to Purchase is a long distance, and then move to Review and Share. the conversion rate is too too too small! Before trying the 3-day free offer from Udemy suggestion, I also believed that the number of people who enroll but won't see the course is high, and the number of people who completed the course but didn't leave any comments is high as well.

In my points of view, I set clear objectives as 1) it is a sampling to reach and encourage people to try, and 2) hope to get something (only HOPE). Although the conversion rate is low, it is better than nothing.

It is the same I published my book in Amazon Kindle. You know, when I run free offers, people who get the books didn't give any review but when they bought by their real money, they give some reviews.

When I started my cosmetic business, I gave samples to my fan in Facebook. After using, they didn't feedback but the people who bought my products wrote a good review and thank you to me right on the review session. Surprised!

Until now, I have gone through many businesses, I got some compliments or good reviews for the things I sold. I never got any compliments or reviews for the things I gave free. 

Again, directly answer your question by your own statement: "Are people grabbing the course because it's free?" ==> Yes! Never wait for the return from someone to get free!

I don't know which is your course but approximate 2000 enrollment is good starting points for us! We need to do many things to change the situation including the power of words, contents, or quality of the video, etc.

It is just my own opnion.

Go to solution

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Go to solution

I am new here and in January 2020 I join Udemy and start teaching. When I make my courses free students whoever come to landing page of my course just enroll in the course and thereafter never take a lectures and not leaving a reviews but when my course have some charges no one has enrolled in my course. I have enrolloment around 1000 but none of them had paid a fee to enroll in course all of them enroll in free and more than 600 students never started the course.

Exactly I don't know what to do but I thought to keep some price on courses.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors