Get feedback for your course and give others suggestions too

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get feedback for your course and give others suggestions too

September Feedback Thread: Give and get feedback on your courses!

Whether this is your first or fifth course, it’s always helpful to hear from other instructors how you can improve your course content to be even better. Each month, we create a feedback thread where you can ask for feedback and share your feedback too.

Before you share your course content, check out our self-promotion policy and read these quick guidelines:

1. Be specific. Share what you’re looking to improve or things you’re concerned about so your fellow instructors can provide targeted feedback.
  2. Upload content directly. Whenever you can, directly upload a video or course outline to our platform so it’s easier for other instructors to check it out.
  3. Don’t share course links or instructor coupons. This is a space to share and receive feedback, not sell to other instructors. If you want to reference a course, share the full name of your course without linking it. Instructors can find the course by clicking on your community profile and going to your instructor account on Udemy.
  4. Pay it forward. If you’re asking for feedback, look over someone else’s course and give them some feedback too! Always try to give more than you ask for.

We hope this feedback thread can help you create even better courses!

22 Replies

I promise I won't keep asking for feedback for each lecture as I create this course, but I'd appreciate your impression of this one.

It's the "How to Use This Course" lecture, and will follow the intro and meditation lectures I've posted elsewhere in Studio U. I'd like to make sure I get it right, since it orients people to the whole course.

Here's the YouTube link:  https://youtu.be/oXosPZ2KX1o

And Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/359454334

Thanks in advance, whenever you have the time and inclination -

David

AlvaroChirou
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I really liked your video. I honestly have nothing to criticize you, I can only congratulate you!

Álvaro Chirou.
Technology Expert

I'm looking for feedback on what is one of the "theory" parts of my upcoming course Mastering the Art of Balance: Staying Sane in an Insane World. Links to Vimeo and YouTube are here. Sorry about not directly uploading; I have a slow DSL connection, and it doesn't seem to play well with the Udemy uploader.

https://vimeo.com/359916604
https://youtu.be/v-EL1OcavnE

I'm interested in any kind of feedback, but especially on the teaching aspect: Is this clear, engaging, etc. Where does it succeed and where does it fail or could be improved?

Many thanks!

David

Hi @DavidBookbinder 

I find your audio and visual excellent. Exceptional. 

The content was well-delivered in terms of pace and clarity.

Good luck with your course. 

LL

Hi there fellow course creators,

Do you feel like me - going over and over a clip and start doubting whether I am making sense, are clear and if anyone would want to listen and watch me teach? That is where I am at now with the production of my first course. A bit of at an all-time low because it is taking forever to get the first course done! Then I find myself talking to myself. Time for a BREAK! Now I am turning to you…

I want your help - please give me feedback on the introduction clip of Lesson 1. Feedback on Content, Style, Images, Approach, Clarity .... you can add your own.
Your feedback will help me to use this clip as a template for other clips.

FrankKane
Community Champion

I know what you mean - after working on something like this for a long time, you start to lose your ability to see what you've made objectively!

Overall I think your delivery is good. You're easy to understand, the pace seems reasonable, and I like how you're breaking things up with graphics here and there.

But, you posted this looking for areas of improvement, so here are my first impressions. Bear in mind they are minor concerns:

- It's great that you're exuding energy and enthusiasm; that's exactly what you're supposed to do. But it does come across as a little bit forced, with perhaps a few too many hand movements. I think many students would prefer to see more of your authentic personality, than seeing you delivering a scripted performance. (I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, too) I know it's easier said than done, but try talking to the camera as though it were a friend.

- You might consider simulating a couple of different camera angles while editing, by zooming in on yourself a little bit when you're making a key point. It could help keep the "talking head" segments a little more dynamic.

Audio and video quality, and your "set design" are all awesome. You're already ahead of 90% of the instructors on Udemy I'd say!

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your candid feedback. I noticed the hand movements, too and felt it was a bit distracting. I will need to see how to use variations of images and zooming to give that less forceful feel. Not sure how but will try.

Honestly, in my face to face training, I am more natural, and myself and have a certain level of comfort. I guess seeing and interacting with the learners helps. Recording as I have learned is a different thing. So much to learn! 

I appreciate you taking the time to give feedback. 

Hey @Avril_Impacts 

I haven't published a course myself yet so I'll leave the detailed feedback to the veterans! But I love your energy and enthusiasm. I think you could vary the energy a bit in some videos as it would be a nice contrast to slow it down.

I have just looked back at my first videos. Now I am not as happy with them! But I should be happy to see progress. 

Your visuals are great and you are a credible tutor. Good luck with your course!

LL

Hi Lizzy

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to slow down on some of the topics. Mainly the introductions and summaries are at the tempo you saw in the videos. 

I am also using visuals to slow down the tempo.

How do you deal with the feeling of did I do enough?????

We are learning, and that is important. 

@Avril_Impacts @I am happy in the production stage but "putting it out there" will be a bit scary! I have watched a lot of course previews to help me evaluate what I like. Yours is really good compared to what I have seen. Like you, I have lots of teaching experience. It helps but you have to start feeling you are talking to a real person not  the camera. At first, it felt mad having to stare at the lens. It's starting to feel more natural.

Keep doing what you're doing, it's great so far.

LL

Hi, Avril. Do you happen to have this uploaded somewhere besides here, like YouTube or Vimeo? I'd like to give feedback, but I have a slow DSL connection, and when I click either here or in "My Videos," it just hangs, no matter how long I let it try to load.

I don't have that problem with YouTube, Vimeo, or the Udemy courses, so I don't know why I can't play it here.

David

Hi David

Thanks, David, for taking the time to review.

Yes I can give you the Vimeo link. 

Here it is!

https://vimeo.com/user97406609/download/359940689/f1a5672485

DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

This is really great @Avril_Impacts and I don't see any reason for this style not to get the big OK from Udemy.

You have energy which will be good for students who like to listen

Yes the hands may irritate some but for me this is minor. What I would try to remove with the hands is when you point with the 2 first fingers...if you do this in real life too it is worth stopping it too. Pointing can be perceived as aggressive body language so open palms are better.

It would be good if you structured your talking around the "3 tell'ems"... Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em, Tell 'em and then tell'em what you've told them. The 3 tell'ems are really good for information retention especially if your style is energetic like yours. 

And finally if possible I would make your font larger and stronger.

After all this feedback please remember as it is is already far better than most other instructors on the platform 🙂 

Hi Denise

Thank you do much for your feedback. Thank you for the three key pointers:

1) The fingers and hand movement. Something that is done with innocence, I agree can offend people. 

2) Yes, the 3 tell’ems is an excellent idea to keep it pointed. 

3) From the list, the easy things to change are the fonts. Will get onto that right away. 

This is fantastic feedback, Denise. I really appreciate it! 

DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

You're welcome @Avril_Impacts but please remember you are already good to go! You're likable. So just get your course uploaded and live and then look to improve as you go along. And please don't be too self critical there are a mountain of courses out there that are so so poor. 

Hi, @Avril_Impacts. Thanks for the Vimeo link.

I'm really impressed! The setting, the lighting (how did you get such even lighting with no reflections in your glasses?), your teaching style, the graphics, transitions, and progression of content were all great - among the best I've seen on Udemy, and I've taken about 12 courses here.

I have only two very minor suggestions for improvement.

1. As others have noted, some of the hand movements bothered me, especially at the beginning, where you almost seem to be slightly jumping up and down. I suggest experimenting with only using one hand or the other to make your points, to mix it up. You seem mostly to use two hands.

2. I have hearing loss, but I'm usually able to hear videos when I have my laptop volume turned up all the way. For your video, I felt I was struggling and had to use headphones. That leads me to believe that the overall volume of the video is somewhat too low for people like me. This is something you could easily adjust in your video editor by matching your volume peaks to those of a top instructor.

Great, pro-level work on all fronts. I look forward to more.

David

Hi David. Thank you for your feedback. I am already looking at how to address the ”hands movement.”  As I mentioned on similar feedback as yours, I also the noticed the hand movements and am working on adjusting and minimising the use of the hands.

Thanks for the feedback on the audio. Something I did not pick up. 

I really appreciate your feedback. I am going forward confidently knowing that I have a community where I can learn and make myself vulnerable. 

Hello Guys, i am preparing my first course which is about Python programming language and it is in arabic language, i know that you will not understand the content but i want some feedback about the videos quality. You can find some of my lessons on my Youtube Channel.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hi @RamziDeveloper 

Visually, I thought it was great. You were good on camera as well.

I think the audio could be improved. It sounded scratchy and there was background noise. I get very clear audio with a lapel mic. I used to use a snowball (more expensive desk mic) but the lavalier mic is much better.  And much cheaper!

Great work, though. I don't even know what python is and I'm only fluent in English,  so no help with your content!

LL

@Lizzy Thank you so much i really appreciate your feedback

For the video you watched yes i agree the sound is not good because the camera is not a very good quality but this is the intro video and the other videos (rest of the course) i have used Camtasia Studio to record and the sound is very good.

Thank you again your opinion is very important and it is a pleasure to see you here

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors