Get to "Good Enough"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get to "Good Enough"

Just submitted my 5th course for review.  

There were things I wanted to add. More stuff to put inside. More value to deliver. But over the last year I've noticed a pattern (for myself) when it comes to course-making. The courses I don't launch as soon as they're "good enough" don't get launched at all. They just sit there waiting for me to put more and more into them. 

So I decided I wouldn't do that anymore and started launching courses as soon as they are "good enough." I let my students know in advance that the course is at MVP level (minimum viable product) - meaning it's "good enough" to get them the results they want, and I intend to improve it after launch too.

I've done this with three courses now, and what I discovered is that "good enough" tends to be enough when people are paying $10 for a course. "Good enough" is good enough to get results, good enough to get positive ratings and good reviews, and good enough to make money.

Plus any negative reviews point out which areas I actually need to improve versus those I think need improved. So I just use the feedback to give people what they want. My ratings improve. Sales go up. I make more money and everybody is happy.

Moral of the story is... Get to "good enough." 

Launch first. Improve later when you have time. Because "good enough" for you might actually be "this is the best course I've ever taken on Udemy" for them...

Screenshot 2019-03-28 at 1.19.49 PM.pngScreenshot 2019-03-28 at 1.19.05 PM.png

5 Replies

Interesting approach, @aldeville. Thanks for sharing your course creation technique with us. We're certainly happy it's working for you! A quick reminder to not to include a student's name when posting in here for privacy reasons. Many instructors are also students, and this helps keep this community a safe space. Would you mind editing this post to remove the student's name? Thanks in advance!

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

Fixed! 

Nice work. You are just spot on. Create content which is good enough and not the perfect. And then improve as needed or requested. 

GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

"Perfect is the enemy of good". I fell into that trap as well a year before I actually started on Udemy. I wanted to make the course perfect and realized it would take way too long. So I abandoned the idea only to come back to it a year later. If "good enough" gets you mostly 5 stars then it is "good". Keep up the good work. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
Hypnodan
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I agree, I wouldn't describe it as 'minimum viable product' but would say that I aim for good enough. It is common to think I could change this about the delivery or could have said that, etc. The trouble often it is bits which students never point out and there is a risk of 'over teaching' and putting too much in the course which is off topic because I think it is interesting and related to what is being taught, but it isn't what is being taught, it is a tangent...

All the best

Dan

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors