How Do I Come Up With An Idea For A Course?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Come Up With An Idea For A Course?

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I've been trying to create a course for a good year or two but each time I start creating one, I begin to have doubts about whether or not what I'm creating is going to be good enough or if I even know what I'm doing!

So my question is how can I come up with an idea that I'm happy with teaching? I'm not sure what I'm good at or capable of teaching. I know there must be something there that I can capitalize on but I'm out of ideas! 

One thing I know is that I want it to be as simple as possible yet valuable enough that people would pay something for it. Any help would be so appreciated!  

3 Replies

thats a good question! I would say the subject has to be a BIG passion in your life. You can't teach something you are not passionate about, at lease not well 🙂 When you are passionate about what you teach students can see that and they connect with that. Not everybody has those, thus not everybody can make a course. What is it that preocupies your day and is allways there? What do you do not just for money but beacuse you love doing it, and would do it for free if nobody payed you to do it. The bigger the passion the easier it is to teach it.

And beacuse it is a big passion, and you do it all the time and think about it, you are an expert in it- and know about it enought to have something to teach others about it. 

thats at least my humble opinion 🙂

Hope this helpes!

Cheer's

Milivoj

Anonymous
Not applicable

''I know there must be something there that I can capitalize on''.

What makes you so sure of that? It's like entering a store with no money and saying: 'I am sure there's something I can buy'. You say you aren't sure what you are good at or capable of teaching and that you have doubts about what you are doing. I mean it's a no brainer. To teach you must be capable of teaching it, which means you must have something to teach that people want to learn, and that you know what you are doing. You can't teach empty space or air. Udemy is just a marketplace, that means you have something valuable to sell, that people want to buy. Udemy isn't alchemy, like trasmuting sand into gold or something like that.

FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

You want to find the intersection of what you love, what you're an authority on, and what students need. I wrote about this in more detail here.

Use Udemy's Insights tool, found within your instructor dashboard, to understand the student demand for your topic, and the existing courses that you need to surpass.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors