How does Udemy course pricing and sales work?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Udemy course pricing and sales work?

I am a relatively new instructor with only two courses so far and one of the courses I have is about cutting-edge technology and is in high demand from the day one. It actually is a "best seller" since its second week of launching. I have set the price for that course at $199. It's been a few months and I have over 300 sales but hardly any sale is over $15 or so, and my revenue ranges between $1 and $6, mostly under $3, for each sale. Even when someone buys through my coupon links with 50% discount, Udemy discounts it further for them and they buy it for like $10 or so. 

How does the pricing work? I thought we could set our prices. Am I missing something? Am I unknowingly registered into some kind of agreement or program with Udemy that is causing this? If so can I opt out?  I presume Udemy is advertising the course to get as much sale as possible but why at such a low price when the course is in high demand.

Is there a way that we could a set a minimum price for the course so Udemy cannot sell it below that price? Any information to understand this is highly appreciated.

1 Reply

Hey @AsifKhawaja ,glad to clarify here:

Depending on how the student accessed your course, your revenue will be different. 

If you opted into promotions, your course will be sold at a low price if it has been included in a promotion sale. You can check by going to your payout settings and clicking on promotional agreements. This article has more information.

-If the students enrolled in your course by clicking on a link you have shared in your social media or blogs you will get 97% of the revenue.
-If the student found your course from our search engine or by just navigating our platform you will get 50% of the revenue.
-If the student accessed your course by clicking on a link from our 3rd party marketing sites (affiliates) you get 25% of the revenue.

-On In-App Purchases: For sales on the Udemy iOS and Android apps, Apple and Google charge a 30% fee on the total sale.

You can see a breakdown of each sale by going to your revenue report

Hope this helps!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors