How important is it to have an American or British accent to succeed as a Udemy instructor?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is it to have an American or British accent to succeed as a Udemy instructor?

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm an Indian and like most Indians my accent is quite thick.

It's observed that fellow Indians normally follow what I speak, but have never taught a foreign national..

Does this restrict my reach only to Indians? 

Do I have to change my accent to expand my reach? 

Could some one please help me understand what role does ones accent or pronunciation play on being an effective Udemy Instructor.

Be Happy!!
Madhu Nag Shetty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

I see your courses are yoga and wellness which is my field as well (most people I know are in these fields or take the courses). This changes the response greatly from other fields. American and British strongly prefer to learn yoga from someone in India or born in India. We yogis also understand thicker accents better. My only suggestion (without hearing your video) would be to speak slower than you would to Indians. Our Western brains function slower with listening and are used to slow talking with heavy enunciation. I think you will do really well on this platform. Please reach out to me should you wish more details. 

View solution in original post

42 Replies

Go to solution

I must congratulate  Madhu-Nag-Shety for initiating this topic for discussion. I am a newcomer on udemy and initially got the same doubt as to whether my Indian accent is received on udemy course. After reading the view points here, now I am confident that I can go ahead with creating my first course soon.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors