How to Better Present My Course?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Better Present My Course?

Go to solution

Hey guys.  I have been messaging for feedback with my audience for a while.  They have been for the most part non-responsive.  I will do whatever it takes to make it better and give it a better impression with everyone that wants to enroll in my course.    I have so much value to share, but it's not coming across in a way that's satisfactory to me. 

Would anyone be willing to check it out?  I offered this for free so I could get more traction in my audience and course.  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Hi @livxtraordinary, you can ask for feedback in our April feedback thread here 🙂

View solution in original post

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Scott,

OK, so you are asking for feedback. I have a reputation for being very frank, though I intend to be helpful.

Here are a few things you can do to improve, just with your intro video.

1. Take off the headset. Get a decent microphone. You aren't taking live calls so you don't need the headset.

2. The intro video is to describe what this course is about and who you are, your qualifications to establish your credibility. Instead, you are immediately trying to get the viewer to go somewhere else, off Udemy, so you can collect their emails. This is an immediate turn off. It seems like you are selling, not to be helpful to the viewer, but to be helpful to yourself.

3. When you make your course free, you get free loaders who will most likely not view your course, and if they do, they are likely to give poor reviews. That's what you have.

4. Your first lecture is on how to set up your LinkedIn account. Come on man! Do you think people really don't know how to do that? And... you then have a long dead time... a mortal sin for video recording. Edit that out. And, you are asking people to respond in real time. I assume this is a recording of something else you did since Udemy is not in real time. 

Look, if you want to succeed on Udemy you have to be serious about producing your course in a more professional manner. 

Good luck and I intend to be helpful.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Go to solution

I see that most people drop in my introduction video... so if anyone can provide me feedback that would mean so much to me.

@livxtraordinary wrote:

Hey guys.  I have been messaging for feedback with my audience for a while.  They have been for the most part non-responsive.  I will do whatever it takes to make it better and give it a better impression with everyone that wants to enroll in my course.    I have so much value to share, but it's not coming across in a way that's satisfactory to me. 

Would anyone be willing to check it out?  I offered this for free so I could get more traction in my audience and course.  

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Scott,

OK, so you are asking for feedback. I have a reputation for being very frank, though I intend to be helpful.

Here are a few things you can do to improve, just with your intro video.

1. Take off the headset. Get a decent microphone. You aren't taking live calls so you don't need the headset.

2. The intro video is to describe what this course is about and who you are, your qualifications to establish your credibility. Instead, you are immediately trying to get the viewer to go somewhere else, off Udemy, so you can collect their emails. This is an immediate turn off. It seems like you are selling, not to be helpful to the viewer, but to be helpful to yourself.

3. When you make your course free, you get free loaders who will most likely not view your course, and if they do, they are likely to give poor reviews. That's what you have.

4. Your first lecture is on how to set up your LinkedIn account. Come on man! Do you think people really don't know how to do that? And... you then have a long dead time... a mortal sin for video recording. Edit that out. And, you are asking people to respond in real time. I assume this is a recording of something else you did since Udemy is not in real time. 

Look, if you want to succeed on Udemy you have to be serious about producing your course in a more professional manner. 

Good luck and I intend to be helpful.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Lawrence,

Thank you.  This is extremely helpful.  I intend to do a lot better, and finally... an authentic response.  

Now, can I coach you on the wording of this?  Although I highly respect directness like "edit that out", it doesn't have to come across as criticized like when you asked "Do you think people really don't know how to do that? ".  

It makes it sound like you're triggered.  This is probably your style of coaching, but it doesn't exactly fit mine.  

But other than that, I'm highly willing to accept all that you've suggested!  It's great to hear from someone very experienced.  Again, I'm aware I'm in a learning phase, and there are some things I didn't know I didn't know, which is why I'm willing to be all ears.

Go to solution

Hi @livxtraordinary, you can ask for feedback in our April feedback thread here 🙂

Go to solution

Thanks Jocelyn, this is where I'll post from this point forward

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors