cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

How to choose a course topic?

An important part of creating your first course on Udemy is deciding what you want to teach. Our community is full of instructors who are experts in a variety of topics that go from computer science to personal development to arts and crafts. In this post, we'll walk you through a few steps you can take to select your ideal course topic. 

1. Create a list: Start by creating a list of 5 topics that you could teach. Here are a few questions you can ask yourself to get your thoughts flowing:

• What are you passionate about?
  • What are you really good at?
  • What do people come to you for advice on?
  • What have you taught before?
  • What can you teach differently from others?

2. Research: Besides establishing yourself as an expert, it's equally important to teach something that students need. Narrow down your options by using our Marketplace Insights tool – this will help you identify, validate and refine your topics based on marketplace demand and competition.

3. Define your audience: Once you know which topic to teach, define your audience. Think about who you are teaching for. This will help you focus your course content to be relevant to these students and what they will learn and be able to achieve by the end of the course.

Still unsure of what to teach? Read this Teaching Center article andThe Importance of Topic Selection for more guidance.

🤔 How did you decide what you wanted to teach on Udemy? Let us know in the comments below! 

4 Replies

As said itsvery important to have a very clear picture of what actually you wish to teach and how will it be different from others who may be doing the same subject

I would like to teach 

1. Computer Networking

2.photoshop CS5

3. Hindi Language

4. VSDC, OPENSHOT, SHOTCUT VIDEO EDITORS with practical workshop.

Hiyou have articulated it comprehensively. As far as my teaching area selection is concerned, being an environmental engineer it was quite clear to me that I am going to teach the Environment related courses. However, the research component is vital for the effective teaching these days, I will focus upon it. 

I am still in the process to launch the introductory video and excited to get the response on that. 

Good luck to us.

Im interested In expanding atop my existing 3D design courses on Udemy and introducing new tools being used in the design space such as ai. What’s strange is as I research the market insights tool for data on these topics I am generating zero results. That is, Udemy state’s there were no courses taught in these areas, which I know is incorrect because I currently teach in this topic area and know there is a fairly high demand. Not sure if it’s an isolated issue or perhaps a temporary glitch with the insights tool. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LeandroRolon, thank you for reporting this! We're currently investigating an issue with the Marketplace Insights tool not displaying certain course topics, so there is a chance this is the reason why you're not being able to research your topic. We apologize for this inconvenience. Our team is working to resolve this ASAP and we will let you know once we have an update. Thank you for your patience!

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors