How to correctly set-up a co-instructor partnership?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to correctly set-up a co-instructor partnership?

Go to solution

Hello everyone!

I hope this message will find you well and in a good mood.

I guess I need a bit of advice from you, guys. Here is the situation:
- Friend of mine is about to create a course here at Udemy
- He would like to have it working in English-speaking area of Udemy Market, but doesn't know it well enough
- So he needs the course to be translated to English and get voice over, and I am willing to help him with that

Does that mean it is correct to indicate me as a co-instructor in his course?
My part of the work would be in correct translation of materials and voice over, and nothing more than that. Materials and course contents are about to be developed by my friend only.
Is co-instructorship a good idea in this context, or there are other better ideas about how to make it work correctly according to Udemy Policy?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

If it's someone you know and trust, then I think a co-instructor setup is the right way to do this. You'll have to agree on a revenue split. If your friend is the primary instructor who created the course, then they will need to click on the little gear icon in the course's instructor dashboard and add you as a co-instructor with the split you agreed to.

As you are both contributing materially to the course, there shouldn't be any issue with regards to policy. The policy's here if you want to be sure: https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229605728-Co-instructor-Relationships-Rules-and-Guidelin...

Just be aware that whoever the primary instructor is on the course has the power to change the revenue split at any time without your approval. You will be notified if it changes, but you have to trust the person.

An alternative arrangement would be to charge your friend a fixed fee for your services. You'd still want to appear as a co-instructor since you are the face/voice of the course, but if payment were happening outside of Udemy you'd just have a 0% revenue cut. This would reduce your risk if the course doesn't sell well, but you'd lose out if it were successful.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

If it's someone you know and trust, then I think a co-instructor setup is the right way to do this. You'll have to agree on a revenue split. If your friend is the primary instructor who created the course, then they will need to click on the little gear icon in the course's instructor dashboard and add you as a co-instructor with the split you agreed to.

As you are both contributing materially to the course, there shouldn't be any issue with regards to policy. The policy's here if you want to be sure: https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229605728-Co-instructor-Relationships-Rules-and-Guidelin...

Just be aware that whoever the primary instructor is on the course has the power to change the revenue split at any time without your approval. You will be notified if it changes, but you have to trust the person.

An alternative arrangement would be to charge your friend a fixed fee for your services. You'd still want to appear as a co-instructor since you are the face/voice of the course, but if payment were happening outside of Udemy you'd just have a 0% revenue cut. This would reduce your risk if the course doesn't sell well, but you'd lose out if it were successful.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors