How to get students to enroll in my course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get students to enroll in my course

Go to solution

My course have been on udemy for close to a month but i have no students yet. How do i go about it so i can get enrolments and students.

I will appreciate responses and posible solutions. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Hi @wisdomf41 

I took a look at your course. I can think of two possible reasons you don't have any students.

The first is competition. Do you have any idea how many courses already exist covering Microsoft Word? There are 4,587 courses, rated 4.5 or higher, covering this topic. Therefore, you have to ask yourself why anyone would purchase your new course, from a new author when so many highly rated and established courses already exist?

The second, less important reason, is your accent. I watched your promotional video and your accent is very thick and hard to understand. For me personally, I will almost never purchase a course from someone I cannot understand clearly. I will always purchase a course from a native English speaking instructor if possible. 

So, what can you do about this? I'm afraid the only alternative you have is to draw students to your course yourself because Udemy will not be promoting it until you have a significant amount of sales and a high rating (4.4 or higher).

View solution in original post

Go to solution

English is my second language , my accent is strong but I'm not going to stop making courses because of that! But I do agree on competition. I'm very new here, my course  been published last week. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Go to solution

Hi @wisdomf41 

I took a look at your course. I can think of two possible reasons you don't have any students.

The first is competition. Do you have any idea how many courses already exist covering Microsoft Word? There are 4,587 courses, rated 4.5 or higher, covering this topic. Therefore, you have to ask yourself why anyone would purchase your new course, from a new author when so many highly rated and established courses already exist?

The second, less important reason, is your accent. I watched your promotional video and your accent is very thick and hard to understand. For me personally, I will almost never purchase a course from someone I cannot understand clearly. I will always purchase a course from a native English speaking instructor if possible. 

So, what can you do about this? I'm afraid the only alternative you have is to draw students to your course yourself because Udemy will not be promoting it until you have a significant amount of sales and a high rating (4.4 or higher).

Go to solution

Thank you sir for your kind response. I appreciate.

Go to solution

English is my second language , my accent is strong but I'm not going to stop making courses because of that! But I do agree on competition. I'm very new here, my course  been published last week. 

Go to solution

Thanks Summer, i think when you have a problem thats a solution; and then you find one, eccent should not be a barrer in as much as i know the competition is a huge factor. But we continue to strive.

Go to solution

You welcome.  Carry on. You will get there. 

Go to solution

Hi,

One thing which every non-native english speaking instructors (as myself) could possibly do to improve their courses is by using subtitles. You could manually add subtitles within the course video to help students better understand the course.

Also, there's this tool in udemy called "market insights" (https://www.udemy.com/instructor/marketplace-insights/) which provides the topics students are looking for at present.

Hope this helps.

Wish you all the best !

Go to solution

That's a great idea. Thank you. 

SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hello @wisdomf41  and @SummerSparkss , first congratulations on publishing your first courses.  It is always very exciting. However now the real work begins… marketing them to get people on board and those precious reviews.

However that is not why I reach out to you. I am encouraging you both to consider that people from the four corners of our planet need to be able to understand you. No matter where you are from, no matter which other beautiful languages you speak.

I am Australian, typically we speak very fast, we do not begin or end our words and it can all become a blur. I spent many hours deliberately slowing down and making sure people could understand what a I was saying. It has paid of very well for me. 
Good crisp clean audio is a winner. If people have trouble understanding you they are generally not tolerant and will get a refund or simply never purchase again.

Another post mentioned the closed captions, it is essential that you correct them. It will give you a good guide as to how you are understood, the more you have to correct the less understandable you are (courses with odd words and jargon are always going to be an issue…)

step back, listen, can potential students who speak English as a first or second language understand you? It is too easy for us to get wrapped up and really be amazed by what we have produced rather than cast the critical eye of the potential student.
Plus don’t forget the first month is critical for students and reviews, work really hard to push your courses so that Udemy might notice them and start to promote them for you. 

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose

Go to solution

Thank you. All the best. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors