Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ekta
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

How to upload my own .VTT file fast

Go to solution

Hello,

Please help me to upload my own .vtt file. Udemy has generated the captions and I am much happy about that. Parts of it do not match with what I say in videos.

So is there a way to upload my own .vtt file. I have my word to word script written in a word document.

I googled and found ways to create your own vtt file via webvtt. It's a long and cumbersome process. 

If anyone has solved this problem please help. As I see that captions will definitely add value to my course content.

Please please help. 

thanks 

Ekta 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Hi Etka,

The fact that you script your lessons can be of great help.

This is what I do: 

• I upload the video (a very low-quality version, so that it uploads faster) to Youtube in private mode.
  • I add a new transcription or subtitle.
  • From the 3 methods supported I use the "Transcribe and auto-sync" (see image below), then paste the text from my script and let Youtube process it.
  • Download the .vtt file from youtube and review it to see if it is correct.
  • If necessary, I use an open source application called "Subtitle Edit" to make adjustments.
  • Upload the .vtt file to Udemy.

YouTube usually does a very good job syncing the script correctly, but it does depend on correct pronunciation.

transcribe-youtube.png

View solution in original post

AxelRittershaus
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Ekta ,

If only some parts of the generated cc are not ok, simply use the editor provided by Udemy and edit those sections. Only if the generated captions are total crap and you have many hours of video to process, I‘d look for another solution like @CarlosDeLeon @YouTube hack, which I use for languages (German) for which Udemy does not generated captions. 

Best

Axel

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Go to solution

Hey @Ekta, you actually have two options here. You can either edit the auto-generated captions that were generated for your course - you can do so by using the captions editing tool. For steps on how to use the editing tool, please click here. Or you can upload and use captions you've created for the course. These captions will be utilized instead of the auto-generated captions. For steps on how to do this, please refer to this article.

Hope this helps!

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

Go to solution

Hi Etka,

This is what I do: 

• I upload the video (a very low-quality version, so that it uploads faster) to Youtube in private mode.
  • From the 3 methods supported I use the "Transcribe and auto-sync" (see image below), then paste the text from my script and let Youtube process it.
  • If necessary, I use an open source application called "Subtitle Edit" to make adjustments.

YouTube usually does a very good job syncing the script correctly, but it does depend on correct pronunciation.

transcribe-youtube.png

Ekta
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Thanks Carlos,

I will try to do the steps you've suggested.

Thanks, 

Ekta

Ekta
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

Hello Carlos, 

I tried.  And it worked.  Thanks!

Really a hassle free solution to upload accurate .vtt files. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Ekta 

@CarlosDeLeon wrote:

Hi Etka,

This is what I do: 

transcribe-youtube.png

Go to solution

Awesome!

AxelRittershaus
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Ekta ,

If only some parts of the generated cc are not ok, simply use the editor provided by Udemy and edit those sections. Only if the generated captions are total crap and you have many hours of video to process, I‘d look for another solution like @CarlosDeLeon @YouTube hack, which I use for languages (German) for which Udemy does not generated captions. 

Best

Axel

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors