Introductory to Intermediate Python Courses

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introductory to Intermediate Python Courses

Before I get started on making videos, etc.  I just wanted to ask for any advice on how best to create my course.  Of course, I want to make this as professional as I can, and also attract student.  

Best, John Griner

38 Replies
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @JohnGriner466, happy to hear you're planning on creating your first Udemy course. We have a recommended course creation process, in which our learning design experts break down the best practices to help you build a solid foundation for your course:

For further information, check the resources below: 

You may also want to take our Official Udemy Course about how to create an online course.

All the best!

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

Bella, thanks,

What I am unsure of is the length of the lessons/lectures.  Trying to keep them @ or under 6 minutes seems to be Udemy industry standard, and thus, I will make a lot of 6 minute (content) videos, as part of a larger series?  If so, the content is 6 minutes,, and so if I want to teach "how to upload data in Python, I would have to keep the WHOLE content under 6 minutes, and then move to the next logical topic, like how to parse and clean uploaded data, in a separate 6 minute video.  Or if I want to REALLY teach how to clean the data, reshape, format, etc., break it up into 4-8, 6 minute videos?

John 

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Happy to help with that, John! There is no maximum video length but we recommend videos to be between 2-6 minutes long. For more information about our requirements please see the Udemy Course Quality Checklist

I also recommend this post from our Community Champion, @LawrenceMMiller, with tips for the creation of video lectures.

Hope this helps!

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@Bella That link doesn't work. I think this is the link on lecture effectiveness that you are pointing to: https://community.udemy.com/t5/First-time-Course-Creation/Lecture-Effectiveness-The-Research/m-p/141...

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oops 😅

Thanks for providing the correct link, Lawrence! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

Belle,

Is it ok if the video is 640 p.  I am having issues with downloading a video maker that is 720 p.  The one that I am using is 640 p, and is fine.

John

ok, to get started, and attract students and actually make money.  What is the best way t start?

Also, how much are we paid? 

Thanks, John

SharonRamel
Community Champion

Before you begin @JohnGriner466 check out the top courses in python here on Udemy. There are over 10,000 courses. You will need to ensure you have a unique selling point. What will set your course apart from your competition? How is your course going to provide that wow factor that the others courses lack? This is essential as it will drive your marketing and promotion to get started. 

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose
FrankKane
Community Champion

Like Sharon said, there are over 10,000 existing courses on Python on Udemy that have a head start on you. The honest answer to "how much you are paid" is probably very little, unless you do some research and choose a more focused topic that has less entrenched competition.

In your instructor dashboard you should see an Insights tool under Tools. You can use that to understand the competitive landscape of your topics, and even the median monthly earnings for courses in that topic. It's incredibly important to choose the right topic to teach if your goal is to make money.

ok, is it ok if I use a video maker that is 640 p quality?  I am having issues downloading  one that is 720 p

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JohnGriner466 I'm very sorry but this is not possible. Udemy requires that video content is HD quality, with a resolution of at least 720p. You can find some editing resources here’s a great roundup of free & paid resources.

Regards,

Eliana 

ok, i had already downloaded and tried Screencast-o-matics, and found that if I record both me and the screen with the video in the bottom left hand corner while I use PPT and Jupyter Notebooks, it allows me to have 720 p, and plus, that's what we want, a video that not only shows the tutor but an interactive teaching where I not only use PPT, but show the students how to use Python in Jupyter Notebooks 

ok, a few things.  I have made some videos, and I am ready to upload them and finish the course creation.  It seems like that I am only allowed to upload 1 video.  I tried to upload all the videos via bulk upload, but got an error.  Also, when I try to set-up direct deposit it will not connect.  Thus, do I set the price for EACH video, or ALL the videos?

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

You set the price for the course, not fo each video. Upload each video for each lecture one at a time. It isn't that hard or time consuming. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

right, I have uploaded the Intro video, and when I try to upload the subsequent videos, the only option I see is bulk upload.  I tried to upload all the videos via bulk and got an error, then I upload one via bulk, and it's been spinning on 99%

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

John, are you creating a new lecture? You should be in your "curriculum" page, add a lecture, and the add content. That is how you ad videos. You don't add them independent of a lecture. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

here is the screenshotUntitled.png

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

click on that little down arrow on the right.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

ok, I have the videos uploaded, and for the curriculum page, where I type in subtitle and description I continue to be unable to save this page: Curriculum .png

Ok, I submitted my course for review.  So, now, I should just wait.  As far as the rate per hour, I was not put, someone said that you can always change it later.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors