Is there any value in adding description to each lecture?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Is there any value in adding description to each lecture?

Go to solution
Udemy supports adding a description to each lecture within a course. The question is often asked, "Should I add a description to each one, I'm not sure what the benefit of doing it would be?"

There are two reasons why you might want to consider adding them. First, search engines sometimes use all text on a page to determine relevance of a piece of text. Does Google go into each lecture description and pick up key words? I'm kinda doubting it. But it cannot hurt in adding it, right?

Second, it can be of immense benefit to the student. The lecture descriptions are visible on your course landing page. Many students will exdpand your course outline and look for keywords. I do this before I ever buy a course. I need to know that this course will cover things that I want to learn about.

So, It cannot hurt in adding them. Plus, as a final benefit. It is much easier for you to come back in the future. And 'see' what you included in any particular lecture without having to watch it.

I hope this answers your question? If so, give it a like so others might find this answer.
Regards, Robin.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

Next on my list after re-shooting my best selling course is to do just that. I have been doing some SEO research and have a ton of keywords related to my course that I want to add in the course description (not just keywords, but also add relevant content for my students). I want to see if it helps bring more traffic to my landing page. I have been keeping track of the stats ever since Udemy made them available so it will be easy to see an increase (or decrease) if/when there is one. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

View solution in original post

Go to solution

Hello Muyiwa

Yes you can submit the course even if the description is not there. The course still gets published. But the description section really make easier for student to understand about your lecture and the section well. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

Next on my list after re-shooting my best selling course is to do just that. I have been doing some SEO research and have a ton of keywords related to my course that I want to add in the course description (not just keywords, but also add relevant content for my students). I want to see if it helps bring more traffic to my landing page. I have been keeping track of the stats ever since Udemy made them available so it will be easy to see an increase (or decrease) if/when there is one. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Go to solution

Awesome answer Robin!  

When building my Vocal Course, I include a description in every Module and Lesson.  It really does make a huge difference in the students' eyes when they can easily go to a specific Module and Lesson instead of spending valuable time searching for it.  I've been throw several courses that didn't offer that and to me, it was confusing and aggravating not to mention time-consuming.

So I highly recommend descriptions and making the course feel easy to navigate and it helps the flow and feel of the whole course.

Jerry

Jerry Martin - Helping aspiring Artists to reach their goals and dreams.

Go to solution

Is it compulsory to add the description to each lecture/lesson?

will udemy publish a course if the descriptions isnt supplied?

(Each section of my course has a description though...)

will appreciate the clarifications.

Go to solution

Hello Muyiwa

Yes you can submit the course even if the description is not there. The course still gets published. But the description section really make easier for student to understand about your lecture and the section well. 

Go to solution

I have added descriptions for each lecture and what the students will be able to do after they complete it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Thank you, @Robin_Slee . What are your thoughts on crafting a description? Specifically, is there an optiomum length / number of words you shoot for?

Also, each of my lectures begin and end with visual bullet points of the three or four lecture objectives. Though lecture description consists of these points, I'm tempted to use action verbs rather than a simple list in the description. But struggle with what tense to use: "Student learns...", "Lecture shares ..." "You will..."

Robin_Slee
Community Champion

Go to solution

I would use “you will learn...” always try to talk as if you are talking to one student at a time. When you look at the camera ( if you do talking head) there is only ever one person on the other side of the lens. As for length, I like to use statements rather than explanations in the descriptions. I hope that helps? Sorry for late reply, been away for a while 😉

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors