Length of video

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of video

Hi Everyone

I am working on my first course and some of my videos are up to 15 minutes long. Udemy recommends up to 7 minutes. Editing them would be a bit cumbersome because they are on one topic and flow. However, I would appreciate advice. Thanks in advance.

LL
7 Replies

Your videos should be as long as they need to be. I have some some videos that are >25 minutes long and some that are 2 minutes long. I think most of them are around 10 minutes.

If you have content that is clearly one video but artificially split into two, then it might look sloppy. And if you cut too much out just to get it down to 7 minutes, then it might be incomplete.

My approach is that one video should contain one core message (or one key skill, or whatever is relevant). If it takes 2 minutes or 20 minutes for that core message, then that's what it takes!

Also, if the material is good and well delivered, your students won't mind if the video goes on a bit longer 😉

Great advice and reassuring. Thanks for your reply. 

LL
Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I believe the 7 minute guideline is based on some established research about human attention spans. And whilst it is a good 'rule' to follow in general.

However, I would also argue that if you are mid-stream in an important topic at the 7 min mark then keep going until you have said what needs to be said fo rhte student to fully understand.

The second approach is to pre-plan your course lectures and split the course in such a way that each lecture only lasts a few minutes. Perhaps an intro lectre, an explanation lecture and an insights lecture for each of the really long topics?

I would be interested in hearing others ideas on this. Do you think 7 minutes is about right for the average attention span? Answers below 😉

Thanks for your advice. 

I am trying to chunk down my topics for my next course to keep the videos shorter. Glad to know that I can get away with longer sessions if necessary. Sometimes,  even a single topic can become quite detailed. 

LL

Thank you so much, this discussion is very helpful. And now I am about to record my first Course, finally, after years! This is very exciting, and I find that Udemy is the best place to have my courses. Right or right? I already love this Community, so thank you Lizzy, Mike & Robin!

Robin_Slee
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

You are very welcome, Monica.

Hi Lizzy,
Good luck with your first course. Regarding the video length, I would say it depends on the content to measure if it is too long or not! for example; if we are talking about theoretical info then it has to be short (7 mins or less), but for practical contents I think we can have more time. that because people get bored faster with theoretical content than practical ones.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors